Panicking! - No Signs Of Fermention After 24 Hours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardii

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday morning I brewed "Dave's Belgian Ale" from a recipe in "The Homebrew Survival Guide For Beginners" by Colin Penrose.

Everything mostly went to plan, except that it somehow took 4 hours ... but I guess Saturday mornings are like that. Anyway, I took a peek under the blanket this morning. I expected to see a lovely foamy krausen - but it was just flat. "WTF!" I exclaimed, scratching my head.

The yeast I used was a fresh one where you slap the pack to activate it. I did so, and then it sat in the sun (inside its foil pack) for a couple of hours. During this time the pack did expand as per the instructions, so I assume the yeast was OK.

The wort was chilled for about 45 minutes in ice-water to bring it down to a little below room temperature. I guess about 20C. It definitely was not anything approaching too-hot.

So what do I do?? Be more patient? Add more yeast?
I've never made a Belgian-style beer before - is it slower to start?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks,
-Hardii

Relax dude. All will be well. Sometimes when you pitch strait from the smack pack there is a fair amount of lag time (i.e. I've had a couple of days before I could see visible signs of fermentation). Do a search on yeast starters to get some tips on getting fermentation cracking faster.

agreed, all will be well, just give it more time and things will be going on nicely, more than likely by this afternoon.

Welcome aboard :icon_cheers:

Can take at least 48 hours before there is much signs of Krausen forming.

You really need a thermometer and temperature control of some kind, good job it is a Belgian which likes temperatures in low 20's.

Ok, so now it's 3.5 days later and it still looks the same?!

I would say the average daily temperature is in the low-20s, at night maybe dipping below that.

Should I still be not worried? Take some action?

thanks,
-Hardii??!

Ok, so now it's 3.5 days later and it still looks the same?!

I would say the average daily temperature is in the low-20s, at night maybe dipping below that.

Should I still be not worried? Take some action?

thanks,
-Hardii??!
Has the gravity dropped?

Hi,

I've been closely watching this brew for signs of fermentation. A few small clusters of foam were appearing on top of the wort on Wednesday evening. They started out about the size of rice-grains, and over a few days grew to to about a 50-cent piece size. So I assumed that at least something was happening.

I managed to take a S.G. reading on Saturday morning: 1036 (start:1074). Interestingly, jostling the fermenter around to get a cupful for the hydrometer caused the wort to foam up considerably, and blew the water out of the "s-bend" air-lock. I went down to my local-brew-shop (a 45 minute drive!) and he said it's working OK, but maybe I should get a heater for brewing this time of year. It gets fairly cold overnight.

Since applying the heater, the wort has been bubbling away merrily. I think also my air-lock wasn't tight in the bung. Hopefully this hasn't let too many nasties in ... fingers crossed.

I can hear the wort bubbling away in the middle of the night - it's a very soothing sound. Not quite the crackle of am open fire, but pleasing none-the-less.

thanks for the help

cheers,
-Hardii

I personally wouldn't have bothered with the heater as it was obviously fermenting from your hydrometer reading. This isn't a race remember. The aim here is good beer, not quick booze.
I don't know where you have your fermenter situated, but I would be getting my hands on a thermostat or temperature controller to stop that heating pad from cooking your beer and producing too many off flavours.

Hardii - for next time, maybe don't leave the smack pack in full sun. Even in autumn a foil pack would get pretty warm in full sun for a couple of hours, and that might kill off some of the yeast.

Back