Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerva

Reaction score
Hi there guys later this week i be brewing a Coopers Pale Ale with added hops of Citra hops 30Grams, now if i want the flavor would i boil them in 500g of liquid malt for 20-15mins??

Cheers..

Lately I've been using 20-30g of hops steeped in just boiled water for 30 minutes then adding that to the fermenter with the coopers pale ale tin and 1kg of light dry malt extract.
It works really well. I've tried it with 25g of citra and it tasted great. I also rehydrate my yeast for 30 minutes while the hops are steeping. Timing works out perfectly.

To answer your question tho, 20-15 minutes would be ok. I'd even go 10 minutes.

No not 500g of malt extract. Say 2L of water with 200g of malt extract so the gravity is around about 1.040. Or you could just make up your kit then take 2L from that, boil it and add the hops for 10-20 minutes and that will give you the flavour from the hops.

Gsouth, no point really steeping hops- boil them and make sure you add some malt or dex to the water to bring up the gravity as above (or use some of your wort). Otherwise the hops can produce astringent bitterness coming through.

I make mine with Galaxy, Nelson Savin and Amarillo

Droopy Brew said:
Gsouth, no point really steeping hops- boil them and make sure you add some malt or dex to the water to bring up the gravity as above (or use some of your wort). Otherwise the hops can produce astringent bitterness coming through.
Cheers for the advice. I only started using this method after making the Fruit Salad recipe off the coopers site. It seemed to work pretty well. I had noticed some bitterness in a couple of batches but figured it was from using high alpha hops like galaxy and having them sitting at a high temperature for a period of time.
Might be time for some experimenting... :D :chug:

Droopy Brew said:
I wouldn't say "no point", it depends what you're after. If you just want flavour and aroma then steeping in 60 - 80 C water for 10 - 20 min is actually not a bad way to get it. It's basically a low gravity hop stand. The gravity (sugar) helps with isomerisation of alpha acids (extraction of bitterness). If you don't want more bitterness then steep away. :)

so i just boil them in the water with the sugar for 15-20 mins then

No mate. Steeping basically means to let sit in non-boiling liquid to extract useful compounds.

Boil a litre of water in a pan on the stove. When its boiling add 25gms hops to the water and turn down to a low simmer. Leave it simmering for 15 mins and then strain with a kitchen sieve into your ferment with your CPA

wereprawn said:
No mate. Steeping basically means to let sit in non-boiling liquid to extract useful compounds.
Yes, that is exactly what happens during a hop stand which is employed by quite a few commercial and home brewers. The only difference is a hop stand is usually performed after the wort boil. Steeping hops in water will do the job, though, for a kit batch.

ok then guys i done it and bottled it on sunday, i used 100% dextros and 500 grams of LLM and used dextros and dry malt for the priming sugar, now its time to wait n let it age, i boiled the hops tho for 10-15 mins. i wonder how it will come in few weeks time. inside is about 17 to 24 degrees depends on the day...

what do you mean by steeping??

Was referring to this

so i just boil them in the water with the sugar for 15-20 mins then
Yes, that is exactly what happens during a hop stand which is employed by quite a few commercial and home brewers. The only difference is a hop stand is usually performed after the wort boil. Steeping hops in water will do the job, though, for a kit batch.
Not this

Back