Pale Ale Recipe, your thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNU

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just after some thoughts on this recipe, as I'm looking to put it down tomorrow and haven't tried it before. Aiming for a nice refreshing session beer and would appreciate any advise.

1.5kg Briess Wheat LME
1.5kg Briess Light LME
200g Light Crystal
Yeast - US 05

Steep Grain in 3L of water at 67 degrees for 30mins
Remove grain, top up to the 8L mark, add 800g of LME and bring to the boil

50min = 20g Magnum
15min = 15g Centennial
5min = 15g Galaxy

Cool it down in a ice bath. Dissolve the rest of the malt, strain into the FV and fill to 23L. Ferment at 18 degrees

Dry hop 5 days from bottling with 30g of Cascade.

I also have more of Magnum, Centennial, Galaxy, Cascade and Azzaca if you think the ratios are wrong or a different hop would be better suited.

Hey mate,

I'd be modifying your hop schedule a little.

Maybe try reducing the magnum addition to 10g - 12g (roughly 15 - 20 IBU) and going a little heavier on the late additions to make up the balance. Maybe 25g - 30g each of Centennial and Galaxy.

I get an IBU of about 43 from your existing schedule, which is fine for an APA but maybe a touch lower might suit lower gravity beer.

I used Ian's spreadsheet, seeing as it's only a 8L boil for a 23L batch. Am I suppose to have the hop concentration selected as yes? As I thought my above was going to be 30ibu

Howdy,
I'd go with what shacked said.
I'm not sure about the IBUs - that hops concentration factor you've used is correct. So it's probably more like the 30 IBU. However, if it would normally be 43 IBU without it, i'd allow for the possibility for it to end up being a little higher that 30.
Either way, i'd drop your early additions and shift them into late additions - maximise the flavour & aroma impact of your hops!!!

ianh's spreadsheet is fantastic. If that's giving you an OG and an IBU that's at the right balance you looking for (either balanced or a bit more on the hoppy side) then you're hitting the right targets. It's just a matter of manipulating your hops additions to again achieve what you're after - if you want lots of hops flavours and aromas, minimise/drop the early addition & maximise your late additions; if you want a malt-focused beer, reduce/drop the late additions. I assume you want to do the former, so crank up the late additions! I'd even be tempted to reduce to magnum down to 5g (or even 0g).

Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated. I'll have a play on excel tonight before doing the batch. But I do like me some hops, so I'll up them all as suggested and dial back the magnum or the boil time accordingly. Haven't played with centennial before, but love the Galaxy as a late addition.

GNU said:
Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated. I'll have a play on excel tonight before doing the batch. But I do like me some hops, so I'll up them all as suggested and dial back the magnum or the boil time accordingly. Haven't played with centennial before, but love the Galaxy as a late addition.
I will echo what the other guys have said.... less bittering hops and load up the late additions.

recipe looks very good.
great choice on the Briess extracts too, they are very good.
I once used local HBS DME & got twang from it despite process being identical to many prior batches...never touched anything else besides Briess again after that.

So I got super busy and lazy, which meant this didn't happen til last night.

I added 200g of Light DME and did a 8L boil for 40mins

40min 12g magnum
15min 30g centennial
5 min 30g galaxy

Looking forward to see how this turns out. Need to do some research on when to use the hcf on Ian's spreadsheet.

Dry hop thoughts? I was going to go 40g cascade, but now thinking I should mix it up and split that over two hops. Maybe Galaxy?

GNU said:
Dry hop thoughts? I was going to go 40g cascade, but now thinking I should mix it up and split that over two hops. Maybe Galaxy?
Why not do both!

I've found galaxy is good for dry hopping but I usually put it in just before cold crashing and only for 2 - 3 days before packaging.

Latest posts

Back