Pale Ale Not Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicdog1

Reaction score
Hey there i put down a brew on tuesday

1 Can Coopers Pale Ale
1 Can Black Rock Light Malt Extract
20 grams Hallertau hopsin water5 min and drained
23 litre batch

I put in muntons gold yeast wich im not sure if its a lager yeast or ale and it cranked on the fermenting for the first
day and then no action for the next three even after shaking the fermenter checked gravity and it is about 1020 ish
could nt check at the start as i had smashed the hydrometer. I put in the kit yeast from the coopers kit to see if it might kick
off again but still nothing much happening after two days have i done the wrong thing by combinig both yeasts or is it harder for the yeast to work on the lme?

cheers sd

i'd say its been fermenting cosidering your last check was at 1.020. Get yourself another hydrometer so you can check your FG. if its still at 1.020, i'd say its underattenuated but possibly done. 1.010 is a more realistic figure.

When you say 'no action', what do you mean? If you're referring to your airlock, then read this. Airlocks won't always bubble, and aren't an indication of fermentation. As Fourstar said, grab a new hydrometer and start taking readings a couple of days apart to see if the FG is dropping. If it doesn't drop 3 days running, then it's probably finished.

No issue with dropping two yeasts into the fermenter.

And the Muntons yeast is an ale yeast (I think). What temp is it fermenting at?

When you say 'no action', what do you mean? If you're referring to your airlock, then read this. Airlocks won't always bubble, and aren't an indication of fermentation. As Fourstar said, grab a new hydrometer and start taking readings a couple of days apart to see if the FG is dropping. If it doesn't drop 3 days running, then it's probably finished.

No issue with dropping two yeasts into the fermenter.

And the Muntons yeast is an ale yeast (I think). What temp is it fermenting at?

fermanting around 20 degrees to 25 ish has been good weather and cooler overnight around 16 to 18
thanks for the input i havent had a brew ferment that fast before and was a little worried it may be no good
public hol today so will se if i can grab a hydometer tomo and will check it out should my final gravity be around 1010 ?

cheers sd

Not sure how big the blackrock cans are - perhaps 1kg?

If so I'm guessing you started around 1.055ish. In that case, for a Pale Ale you'd want to be around the 1.012 mark, but I know that the Coopers kits are resistant to fully fermenting out, so you might end up around 1.014-1.016ish. If you find that it's too sweet/cloying, sub out some of the LME for sugar on your next brew and you'll find that the gravity drops a little lower. Try 300g substitution to start with and see how that goes.

Not sure how big the blackrock cans are - perhaps 1kg?

If so I'm guessing you started around 1.055ish. In that case, for a Pale Ale you'd want to be around the 1.012 mark, but I know that the Coopers kits are resistant to fully fermenting out, so you might end up around 1.014-1.016ish. If you find that it's too sweet/cloying, sub out some of the LME for sugar on your next brew and you'll find that the gravity drops a little lower. Try 300g substitution to start with and see how that goes.

1.5 kg lme cans will try subs next brew thanks for the fast feed back
sd
:icon_cheers:

nice profile pic to dude !!

Back