Pacman Smack Pack - Pitch From Pack Or Starter ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaninglady

Reaction score
I just picked up a Pacman Smack Pack and am doing a Charlie Papazian Imperial Stout recipe (K&K).

Should i be making a starter or just pitching it straight in there.

cL

what is the og of the recipe? just by guessing (seeing that it is an imperial stout) that it would be over 1.080 - possibly 1.100. I just fermented out a barley wine with pacman - to get enough yeast for it I first brewed an ipa at 1.060 which I pitched the whole smack pack in and then threw the barley wine on top of the yeast cake.

Cheers
Phil

I just picked up a Pacman Smack Pack and am doing a Charlie Papazian Imperial Stout recipe (K&K).

cL
well given that its an imperial stout one assumes its a high grav brew, in which case you need more yeast. so you'll need to culture it up.
generally a yeast caluclator (such as Mr Malty) is a good starting point. other useful info is OG etc

edit: beaten to the punch

cL

I would think you would want a starter - particularly if you are going high OG.

use Jamil's pitching calculator to work out what size starter you need based on volume, OG and starter prep method (stir plate or not, etc).

i use it for all of my starters.

Mr Malty

Yikes, an imperial stout i would be thinking about doing a repitch. Do yourself a small beer 1.040 OG then repitch the required slurry as calculated by mr malty. if you try and build up the required yeast from a starter you can expect it to go well beyond a 2L starter.

cheers guys , the recipe says 1.075 - 1.070.

just a bit worried about making a starter with a so had to get yeast.

G&G isn't getting it again for 18 Months apparently and i got the 2nd Last one (at the Yarraville Store anyways...)

@ Morgue - What sort of volume am i looking at to prepare?

The biggest appropriate glass vessel i have is a longneck !

cL

@fourstar

my first beer ever did (only six weeks ago) was an IPA on Muntons Gold and i dropped a Super Stout recipe straight on top of the trub.

it when like the clappers , are you suggesting the same here ?

cL

@fourstar

my first beer ever did (only six weeks ago) was an IPA on Muntons Gold and i dropped a Super Stout recipe straight on top of the trub.

it when like the clappers , are you suggesting the same here ?

cL

Not just dump it on the cake but i'd look at pulling around 1 cup of the slurry and pitching that onto the Imperial. You generally need 1/2 cup slurry on a 1.050 OG beer, so 1.070 you will probabaly need close to 1 cup. I pitched 1 cup onto my 1.099 OG Barleywine.

Note: these figures assume a 20-23L volume.

Not just dump it on the cake but i'd look at pulling around 1 cup of the slurry and pitching that onto the Imperial. You generally need 1/2 cup slurry on a 1.050 OG beer, so 1.070 you will probabaly need close to 1 cup. I pitched 1 cup onto my 1.099 OG Barleywine.

Note: these figures assume a 20-23L volume.
cheers Fourstar. checking out Mr.Malty right now.

cL

cheers Fourstar. checking out Mr.Malty right now.

cL

Any questions, give me a yell. ;)

You are better off repitching the correct amount of slutty than just dumping it onto the cake. Nothign diffuclt and as easy as filling a sanitised stubby full of beer. :icon_cheers:

Any questions, give me a yell. ;)

You are better off repitching the correct amount of slutty than just dumping it onto the cake. Nothign diffuclt and as easy as filling a sanitised stubby full of beer. :icon_cheers:
so what exactly is the right amount of slutty mate? :lol:

I reiterate, there's no such thing as too slutty:

Pac-Man-hustler.jpg

Back