Pacific Hallertau In Weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyones used Pacific Hallertau is a Barvarian Weizen before and what there thoughts were. Im buying the ingredients tonight. Something like
2.5kg Pilsner (or Galaxy)
2.5kg wheat malt
Pacific Hallertau 60mins (to 14 IBU)
Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)

Its either Pacific Hallertau flowers or Tettnang pellets as the place Im going to has just moved and doesnt have the biggest range at the moment.

Thanks,
Al

Have you been reading my recipe book ? :p
That is my exact recipe for my favourite Weizen.

50% Pils
50% Wheat
NZ Pacific Hallertau to 16 IBUS @ 60 mins.

Doc

Yep, it's fine as a German Hallertau substitute for all your favourite styles. Quite similar but not the same as Hallertau Mittelfruh, Hersbrucker etc.
Has a slight spicy character of it's own.

Lovely! :)

Warren -

Awesome Doc, cheers for that.

Any preference for the brand of pils and wheat? Would Joe White do?

Awesome Doc, cheers for that.

Any preference for the brand of pils and wheat? Would Joe White do?

JW will do. Weyermann preferred if you have it.

Doc

Is it a different variety from hersbrucker or the same thing grown in a different country, like EKG isn't EKG if its not grown in EK?

It's a different variety. German Hallertau crossed with a NZ research hop. I love it. I'm drinking my Pacific Hallertau Oktoberfest right now :D

It's a different variety. German Hallertau crossed with a NZ research hop. I love it. I'm drinking my Pacific Hallertau Oktoberfest right now :D

True but not that far off and with a good AA%, I tend to use it in Pils/lagers + Weizens and love it (probably my most used hop) :)

Latest posts

Back