Oysters - recipes please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmud

Reaction score
My FiL's brother runs an oyster lease down near Kettering and dropped off about ten dozen oysters yesterday. Gotten through three dozen natural and kilpatricked. I also like to finely grate some leek and and grill them with that and some butter and salt. Anyone got something amazing and simple?

Ten dozen oysters?? Is Kettering anywhere near me?? Ill help you eat them. Thats awesome.

Open bin, insert oysters. Cook a steak...

Horrid things. The missus loves them. Can't imagine why.

Natural, natural with lemon and natural with pink grapefruit salsa.
Very finely chop some red onion, pink grapefruit, skinless, deseeded tomato and skinless deseeded cucumber. Finely chopped coriander optional.
Replace grapefruit with lime for a different spin, add a touch of vietnamese mint.

Airgead - I respected you right up until today.

Oysters taste to me like huge green fishy snot. Enjoy yours however as I'm sure oyster farming and consumption helps to keep the economy ticking over. ;)

I used to hate oysters intill I moved up to the NSW Nth Coast. First time I tried fresh oysters at Wooli I was a changed man. They are prob tge best you can get fresh. Wooli is the only easturie on the east coast that can sell direct out of the water without the requirement to purge. Took them 2yrs of weekly water testing before they could.

Fresh oysters are the bomb. Especially freshly chucked and eaten immeadiatly and washed down with beer.Even better when they are only $12doz

Try a bit of soy sauce and ginger.

Or pocket them inside a steak.

Sorry Airghead, your off my Xmas list mate. :), along with that imigrant Bribie G

Aha! Kettering is just out of Hobart. It is pretty awesome, the oysters from this lease are primo.

Djar, that sounds great - I love fish sauce!

Some great suggestions guys! Mants, the pink grapefruit salsa sounds ******* awesome! Will definitely give that a crack!
I'm a big fan of Tassie oysters - nice, clean, cold water. To be fair these are not as good as others he's given us, but they're pretty great still. I read once that the best time for oysters is when the snow is melting (not sure there's a correlation, just an indicator of when they are best) and I've found it great advice.

Make up a sauce with mirin, light soy sauce and a dash of red wine vinegar. Add that with finely chopped chives and salmon roe.

I once ate so many oysters my tongue went blue..

Real simple. Real good. Jar salsa and Parmesan under the grill. Mint.

Mint = Blow ya fkn socks off.

Not the herb.

Rgds

Linford

Good oysters - just need a squeeze of lemon!

A dash of "Bulldog" Worcestershire sauce (Asian shop) is really nice if heading down the Kilpatrick path.

I had some the other day with "Kabayaki" (Jap sauce) and a little fish roe on top...not bad for "fish snot" :p

Oyster shooters!!
oyster
vodka
ginger dash of wasabi

all sorts of combinations
oyster and bloody mary
oyster lemon and vodka
sake and oysters
etc etc

Keekap manis ( or however its spelled...), and finely chopped coriander. Simple and very tasty. Enjoy, you lucky batard.

Latest posts

Back