Oysters in Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I got some nice fresh full shell oysters then I am going to soak in stout and see how.they go

Anyone done this.

Do you want to make oyster stout or stout oysters?

oysters soaked in stout...as they are still live I am hoping that the stout will flavour them

Ducatiboy stu said:
oysters soaked in stout...as they are still live
I doubt they will be for too long once the stout hits them...

Mind you... I'm not an oyster expert. Can't stand the things. The missus loves them though... but she hates stout.

Cheers
Dave

Ive made oysters stout kilpatrick before and it was bloody nice. I poured some stout into a pan, added some chilli powder and reduced it down a bit until it was like a sauce consistency. then poured this over the oysters, added the bacon and grilled them.

Bloody beautiful

I've done battered oysters using Guiness export and they were damn tasty. You're effectively marinating here, so I would think they'd absorb the flavour. I'm interested to see the result.

Love to hear how they go but I am thinking because the oysters are so full of liquid I am not sure they will take in the stout and hold any of it's flavour??

Stout dressing is a good idea and of course stout and oyster shooters work - especially with a touch of Worcestershire and tobasco. I normally put them in a stout batter and fry em off - yum!

Understand Merc...thats why I am doing it...

Unfortunatly where I live fresh oysters are alwsys available...

Some of the best I have had where full shell smoked.....they where that terrible I think I ate 2doz....

We used to get big clumps of mussels the size of a bucket out of Lake Maquarie where we lived as kids. Put the whole bunch in a died down part of the coals for ten minutes, then roll it out and start picking them out with a fork.

I'll never forget those smoked little beauties.

The ironic thing is that oysters are best in during the winter which is also when they are cheapest - they spawn in summer so they're never as plump as they are in winter.

Oysters, stout, salted butter and sourdough. Mmm.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Understand Merc...thats why I am doing it...
Unfortunatly where I live fresh oysters are alwsys available...
Some of the best I have had where full shell smoked.....they where that terrible I think I ate 2doz....
Were they opened first or smoked to open?

Stu, If you are ever heading further south and going through Forster- go to Barclays and you can pick up jars of oysters in brine. They are bloody beautiful and from memory about 15-$20 for 2 dozen bistro size.
They would be perfect for pickling in stout I reckon. I knocked of 2 jars and a six pack the first night I was down there last time and would have polished off a 3rd jar if I had it.

Noice... I need to find a tame oyster farmer so I can properly gorge myself without getting a second mortgage.

Latest posts

Back