Overshot Sg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
i have been a little low in my efficiency as of late, so i decided to throw in a bit of pilsner LDME to this recipe:

http://www.brewmorebeer.com/oktoberfest-lager/
Don't ask me how i managed, but i ended up throwing in 500gm LDME and 500gm dextrin.

SG is around 1078. i am not worried about the ABV that doesn't bother me, i'm just worried about the taste. Reckon it will come out a tad harsh?

i am using wyeast 2206 as my yeast. pitched using a 3L starter with 300gm pils DME at 12degrees. 22L Batch.

i have been a little low in my efficiency as of late, so i decided to throw in a bit of pilsner LDME to this recipe:

Don't ask me how i managed, but i ended up throwing in 500gm LDME and 500gm dextrin.

SG is around 1078. i am not worried about the ABV that doesn't bother me, i'm just worried about the taste. Reckon it will come out a tad harsh?

i am using wyeast 2206 as my yeast. pitched using a 3L starter with 300gm pils DME at 12degrees. 22L Batch.
You could pull some out, top off with water then make a side batch...oops more beer dang. You may want to dry hop a little.

Are you sure you measured correctly? I doubt 500 g dme and 500g dextrin (maltodextrin??) would contribute 28 points (presuming your actual OG was the low end of the range stated in the recipe).

Maybe you didn't mix the powders in properly.

yeah, i didnt think it would either. but i have used a couple of calcs on-line and it seems to add up. didnt mind it, but now i have a stuck ferment at 1060. annoying!

yeah, i didnt think it would either. but i have used a couple of calcs on-line and it seems to add up. didnt mind it, but now i have a stuck ferment at 1060. annoying!

add DAP (diammonium phosphate)yeast nutrient (1tsp per 4L) and 2 crushed beano tablets. It will take off, guaranteed. It will fg around .999 (82% accuracy on that statement).

If it doesn't, let the batch warm up...then if not, repitch

The body of the beer will be very thin, so adding some powdered maltodextrin will add body without a bunch more fermentables

Maltodextrin
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/malto-dextrin-8-oz.html

Boil some with water or beer, cool then add to the batch. Or don't add the Maltodextrin... I didn't, but if body is as important as flavor I would suggest it.

I did this back in August. I wanted to use Fermentis Safbrew s-33. The beer I made had an SG of 1.091. The yeast died at 1.06 or 1.07( I can't remember off hand) Using clues from Mr. Manticle and Mr. Felten (against his recommendations) I decided to switch to a very aggressive alcohol tolerant wine yeast LV-1116. That's where the Beano tabs came in. Wine yeast can't eat maltose. Beano is Amylase. A natural enzyme that breaks complex sugars down to simpler forms where the wine yeast could eat.

It turned out to be hoppy rocket fuel. It still has a decent 1cm head when poured, no lacing

Would Beano break down maltodextrin?

I don't know to be honest.

I just read on wikipedia it is a starch and mashing type Starch Saccharification process is needed at 105c and adding other acids and enzymes to break the chains down.

So you would have to work really hard to get it to become fermentable

Back