Overly Bitter Beers, What To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
OK so pretty sure my recent entry into no chill has resulted in my just kegged super bitter US Amber Ale, and incoming (fermenting) IPA... basically made them both to the recipe, but of course did not account for all the extra bittering that no chill brings.

Soooo, just wondering what the best thing will be to save these brews? I can't handle beers that are super bitter, unless it's leveled out but strong hops or sweetness etc. The amber is looking around 50 IBU and the IPA around 90IBU :S

Would making a beer with no bittering hops and then mixing the two be worth the effort? Or just ditch these 2 batches and start again?

Blending would be my best bet. I've saved a few kegs of what I found to be unpalatable beer this way, if done right you end up with double the amont of good beer. Try with some commercial beers or existing brews in glass by glass samples, I've always found Coopers pale to be a good "thinning agent".

Could it just be that you're not used to highly bittered beers? Personally, I find only a slightly negligible amount of extra bitterness (maybe 5IBUs) from no-chilling. Generally, I take the IBUs I get from my flameout addition as equivalent to a 10 min addition in a chilled beer.

Personally, I'd say that no matter what, both of these beers would still taste to bitter to you, regardless of no-chilling or not. Maybe look at cutting your hop additions for future brews, perhaps even brew the same beers again, but with lower bitterness.

Another option, depending on how many kegs you have, is to let them sit a month or three, and see if the bitterness fades somewhat.

Cheers

Blending would be my best bet. I've saved a few kegs of what I found to be unpalatable beer this way, if done right you end up with double the amont of good beer. Try with some commercial beers or existing brews in glass by glass samples, I've always found Coopers pale to be a good "thinning agent".

+1 I found a nice heavy stout let down with VB makes a very nice drink. Flame Suit On.

Could it just be that you're not used to highly bittered beers? Personally, I find only a slightly negligible amount of extra bitterness (maybe 5IBUs) from no-chilling. Generally, I take the IBUs I get from my flameout addition as equivalent to a 10 min addition in a chilled beer.

Personally, I'd say that no matter what, both of these beers would still taste to bitter to you, regardless of no-chilling or not. Maybe look at cutting your hop additions for future brews, perhaps even brew the same beers again, but with lower bitterness.

Another option, depending on how many kegs you have, is to let them sit a month or three, and see if the bitterness fades somewhat.

Cheers

Cheers for the advice all... so with regard to bitter beers, I think I'm adjusted to them as I really mostly drink IPAs and strong American style beers, which tend to be bitter and hoppy (a lot of the time anyway)... this just seems to lack the body/aroma etc to back up the bitterness... I'm keen to try another low IBU batch and mix...

So what's a good % to figure the IBU's of my hop additions increases by by no chill?

Latest posts

Back