Overflow.......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
i put a new kit brew on last night

brew enchancer #2
2 tablespoons of cinnamon
dark ale and
Safbrew s33 yeast pitch at 26 degree's

I got up this morning to the pleasant smell of beer and cinnamon and a lid covered in a small amount of wort...

Never had this happen before and have read this can occur now and then and nothing to be worried about they say.....

My brother out law said it could quite possibly be a contaminated wash but not worried...

294863_10150334444299684_524699683_7891450_1031388730_n.jpg

anyway whats the worst you have come to when a brew as come out the air lock? has it been everywhere all over the floor or just sat on top of the lid like mine?

Your fermenters look quite full. How much beer do you have in them? Give the yeast room to move otherwise you'll have a blowout through the airlock. I pitched 26 litres of beer onto a us-05 yeast cake from a previous brew once and the next day there was beer everywhere. I discovered that you only need to pitch a cup of us-05 slurry to get the beer fermenting, not a whole active yeast cake! ;)

23L in there might have to buy a bigger fermentor i think

23L in there might have to buy a bigger fermentor i think

If that is 25L then yes you might want to get a 30L fermenter. Or just fill it with less beer. Bigger fermenter is best I reckon.... :D

I'm wondering if your beer continued to foam thru the airlock or if was only a once off.

I have put on a ginger beer kit for a mate of mine and the bloody thing will not stop foaming thru the airlock..... I mean won't stop!
I'm having to replace the airlock twice a day and clean the top of the fermenter, this has been happening for 4 days now.

Can anybody suggest when this might stop???
1 can Coopers Ginger Beer Kit
150g grated ginger steeped 45 mins
2kg dextrose
Coopers kit yeast pitched @ 26deg

Cheers

Mikey

I'm wondering if your beer continued to foam thru the airlock or if was only a once off.

I have put on a ginger beer kit for a mate of mine and the bloody thing will not stop foaming thru the airlock..... I mean won't stop!
I'm having to replace the airlock twice a day and clean the top of the fermenter, this has been happening for 4 days now.

Can anybody suggest when this might stop???
1 can Coopers Ginger Beer Kit
150g grated ginger steeped 45 mins
2kg dextrose
Coopers kit yeast pitched @ 26deg

Cheers

Mikey

On the second day when I was cleaning up the Landlord's mess, again, I used a blow off tube. Just run a pipe from the airlock hole into a slightly filled coke bottle. I used starsan

Cheers Stux, this will definately be something I will do next time, but right now it's not really an option.
I broke my ankle just after brew day so leaving the house for xtra tubing etc is not possible.

After doing a bit more reading i'm sure the beer will be fine, its just a pain the ass trying to hobble under my house to change the airlock all the time... Hopefully it will finish soon

Thanks again

Mikey

Try to avoid pitching at 26 deg, it's too warm, that will have contibuted to the mess. Try to come in at about 20 to 22 deg. Day before brewing pre-chill several 2 or 3 litre bottles of water to add when you mix up. The beer will also taste much better.

Pat

yeah i dont pitch to high in temp know. my english bitter was fine didn't overflow at all didn't even make it to the airlock.

need to get hold of my mate for a few.

Cheers for all the advice
I know 26deg is not brilliant and is most likely the cause of the overflow. I'm just really hoping it stops soon so i can stop going under the house to clean up and replace airlock. Im injured and need my rest... ie lying on the couch with a bottle of my IPA watching the tennis.
Keeping cold brewing water in the fridge is a great idea, i'll definately have some on hand next brew day!

Latest posts

Back