Overcarbed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfad

Reaction score
I've kegged my first brew in four years and it has been connected to gas at 200 kpa for a couple of days before I turned it down to 100. It's now 5 days later. I poured today and got a beautiful creamy head, but the rest seems flat. There were some bubbles but it doesn't taste carbonated.
How can I get it back to a proper carb level?

Sounds overcarbed. Disconnect from the gas bleed the excess out of the prv (pressue relief valve valve) a few times over .5-1 hr period ,hook back up 70-80kpa and see how it pours .may need a few goes to get rid of all the excess gas.if u need a beer right now tho,remive the gas bleed right of to bugger all pressure and pour 1 real slow :)

I disagree, sounds undercarbed. If it has good head but not excessive head then it's not overcarbed. Over carbed is when it pours almost nothing but foam and the beer seems flat.
Give it more time to carbonate. I personally leave it for about 2-3 weeks at 80kPa for standard ales and lagers, or 2-3 days at 240 kPa.

How much head is there is the real question.alot ,a little or just right?if it is normal amount of head then yeah undecarbed if it is half a glass of jead and the beer below is flat then overcarbed

Probably the amount of head I'd like. Maybe I'll leave it on 100 a little longr

... this is why i force carb. its so easy and you're not waiting 1-2 weeks and voodoo to get your beer carb'd.

keg beer and vent with CO2 1/2 doz times via the gas post.
Crank the reg as high as she'll go, and connect to the beer out post.

shake wildly for 60 seconds*, disconnect and pop the keg into the fridge for 24 hours. before connecting, vent and set reg at serving pressure. reconnect and pour your first. 9.10 times your beer is marginally undercarbed, within 48 hours you're usually within your sweet spot

* i shoot for around 80 Kpa as the stable reading once i kill the gas. if it stabilises above its no biggie, just vent a few times over a couple of days while pouring to level it out.

Latest posts

Back