Over Use By Date Beer Concentrate..useable?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbjulian

Reaction score
Hi there guys, im new here.
I work at coles an managed to get quite a few beer concentrate tins at a good price because they are over the use by date..these range from 2006-2008.
I was under the impression that i could just use new yeast and everything should be alright..right? will this stuff taste any different to if it was in-date?
All replies greatly valued
Thanks, Julian

Hi there guys, im new here.
I work at coles an managed to get quite a few beer concentrate tins at a good price because they are over the use by date..these range from 2006-2008.
I was under the impression that i could just use new yeast and everything should be alright..right? will this stuff taste any different to if it was in-date?
All replies greatly valued
Thanks, Julian
The manufacture date is about two years before the use by date.
I didn't have any luck with stuff with use by date over a year, stuff with this years expiry should be Ok, though will be heaps darker in colour than normal, anything dated before 2008 might be worth trying, but not worth wasting 1kg malt on.
My tips, brew the latest stuff first with decent ingediants. Recyle the yeast from those brews and only use dextrose instead of malts if your desperate for cheap beer with the older kits, or try a toucan with one old light and one newer dark

I've used out of date cans to some success but they were no more than about 12m out.

For best results, I'd recommend steeping some specialty grains, that will add to the flavour and colour and hopefully fix up anything that the out of date malt may provide.
Also throw in some fresh hops depending on the recipe.

Back