Over mineraling the water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raybies

Reaction score
Howdy.

I've been taking these 40,000 Volts Electrolyte Concentrate mineral drops for about 3 months now and honestly they actually work for me and give me lots of stamina, mind you my water is RO and my deit is slightly low carb.
5eb5a0f686e55f9636b5baba_TMR_VOL01_SF_4-20.jpg

Anyhow, in RO water the taste is foul, and it makes me want to heave. So I started making carbonated water in a 5L keg and then it tastes great like San Pelligrino.
So I thought try it in my brew. If I add the drops in to the final product (american amber ale at present) it's not bad, it cuts the sweetness down a bit and adds a bit of alkaline salty, which IMO makes it taste a bit better.

Now I will be the first to admit my experiments haven't usually turned out for the better, so I now prefer to keep it simple and to recipe.

Has anyone done this?
Are there any beers out there that do it?
At what stage?

Not too concerned about the boron intake, we're probably looking at a
ratio beer:40kvolts of 200:3
consumption 500ml/day.

It's more the saltyness that I'm interested in... so have you tried making a larger with slightly salty water (Sodium Chloride) probably from sea salt? Those 40,000volt drops is really just partially evaporate/concentrated salty lake water.
But also interested in the affects of other minerals.
What taste does laxative range of magnesium impart?

What taste does laxative range of magnesium impart?
[/QUOTE]

Like Epsom salts, puckery. Some once-famous spring waters in the US Rockies have a load of it. Most tasters find it too medicinal.

A few European beers contain >300 mg/L of Mg. Three litres provide the same Mg as a minimum laxative dose of Epsom salt. Even at those concentrations a lot of tasters unused to the beer find it peculiar.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the Boron either, that 950mcg is 950 millionths of a gram or 0.95mg if you use the same units as the rest of the masses.
I'm not qualified to comment how much health benefits nor the flavours of drinking such a mixture. Pretty impressed that that they can get that much money off people for what is basically magnesium chloride, Sodium Chloride (table salt) a pinch of Potassium Chloride and a smidge of boron salt, I'm clearly in the wrong business.

I am however qualified to tell you that it’s a pretty sus addition for most brewing water; Calcium is the king when it comes to brewing.
About the only beer I know of that is made on salty water is Gose, you might want to read up on it if you’re serious about playing silly buggers with water chemistry. Someone once brought me some beer from the US that was made on mineral water (their claim to fame), it was mineraly but not in a good way.
Mark

I wouldn’t be too worried about the Boron either, that 950mcg is 950 millionths of a gram or 0.95mg if you use the same units as the rest of the masses.
I'm not qualified to comment how much health benefits nor the flavours of drinking such a mixture. Pretty impressed that that they can get that much money off people for what is basically magnesium chloride, Sodium Chloride (table salt) a pinch of Potassium Chloride and a smidge of boron salt, I'm clearly in the wrong business.
Find a salty river or lake, evaporate the water to concentrate, get chemical analysis, market it and chaching.
I was sceptical, but it actually provided a notable benefit to my work outs... I pad A$12, but I was impressed enough to try their other products, nothing to report there.

Find a salty river or lake, evaporate the water to concentrate, get chemical analysis, market it and chaching.
I was sceptical, but it actually provided a notable benefit to my work outs... I pad A$12, but I was impressed enough to try their other products, nothing to report there.

I'm afraid any benefits, like the boron, are simply marketing. The name is a dead give away - 50,000V? I gather they figure as some batteries contain an electrolyte (completely different meaning,) their "electrolytes" (in this case salts which can aid in water uptake during exercise or extreme temperatures) would produce a lot of volts because there is a lot of them!

Though it does sound suspiciously like you are trying to sell this crap...

The mixture does sound like something that would be a buzz at the gym. Nowhere else have I heard as much overhype and pseudoscience regarding supplements.

Last edited:
Folks I have no stake in the company nor am I trying to pimp it, however I was watching some youtube video about RO water and how it's bad for you unless you re-mineralise it. I get cramps now and again after breaking my back in 3 places from a paragliding accident, so I was on iherb searching, saw that product and another one from Now (Colloidal Minerals), both had good reviews (yeah I know), purchased both.
Tried it out and OMG that stuff was seriously yuk and not something I ever want to take... unless I carbonate it and then it tastes pretty good.
I don't take pre workout, or protein shakes, just water + 15mg zinc + 120mg Vit B1.
1st day I did my usualy chin ups and I felt good no memory of taking the drops, by the 10th series I noticed something was deifferent. Also confirmed with bike rides.
If I were to compare it, I would say it's like gatoraid without the crap. I also kitesurf which can fatigue and cause cramps if I don't drink gatoraid or this 40k volts marketing bs.

The whole post is not about the 40k bs, it's about a slightly salty beer experiment, like San Peligrino (slightly salty) vs say Perrier (not salty) water. I don't want to invest 6 weeks and tie up another keg on another dumb idea...how would it affect the yeast.

Back