over fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
hey all,
2 weeks ago i put down a russian imperial stout (biab)
I hit my target of 1.083 pitched m44 and m03.
F.G 1.016 meaning approx 9.4%

My question is if you hit a lower F.G than expected how can you fix it to restore balance to your receipe.
Is it as simple as adding water?

FYI I wont be adjusting this beast as it tastes fantastic flat and warm out of the FV :) ,but have come across this problem a few times. Thanks B

Brew mate said 1.020. I know not to much. Would lactose make it sweeter?

yes

I wouldnt do it to it though, if it tastes good, leave it, if you **** up the lactose addition it's gone, no chance of repair

I think half the art of brewing is being able to control the process to reach targets. FG is one of those things that is managed early in the process (mash temps, yeast health etc.) and you don't know what it'll be until you hit it, you can only try to hit what you want.
Once you've hit FG then as far as I'm aware that's it - final gravity. If you add additional (simple) sugars they'll ferment and you'll end up with more ABV with no change in gravity. Adding more water will dilute the mix so while you'll drop the ABV, the specific gravity will also drop because water is the reference value - 1.000. It will literally be a watered down version of itself, and will achieve the opposite of what you want.
The only advice I can give you is to think about where you went wrong this time and adjust your process to suit. That said you got very good attenuation.

Your yeast choice may have resulted in a lower FG than you were expecting? If you cut the M44 it may have finished a couple of points higher. My experience with WLP001 and 002 is that 002 will consistently finish 4 points higher than 001, for me anyway.

I'm with you on drinking RIS at fermentation carb levels and 10 degrees out of the fermenter. That's how I've been drinking mine. Don't want to eff it up by bottling it. Maybe it's just one that needs to be drunk out of the cask or barrel. Just. So. Good.

It really suggests you had more fermentable wort (mashed too long at 64C?) that calculated by the software. To do -- nothing since you can make it cloying (unless it is sooo thin you can't have it.... which would suggest keeping it longer since it is IRS).... For the future -- adjust your system

Latest posts

Back