Over Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any negative side effects of leaving a beer fermenting for too long.

If so, how long do you need to ferment for it to become a problem?

It will not cause over fermentation.. In fact the beer will condition much more quickly if left on the primary yeast cake for a period of time.. In saying that I wouldn't leave it in the primary for longer than 4 weeks as you risk autolysis (Yeast cells eating each other) which will ruin your Beer.

If you plan on leaving it for longer than 4 weeks i would rack it to a secondary fermenter.

So is it ok to leave a beer in the same fermenter for 2 weeks?

I've done it before with no ill effects.

The ultimate proof is in the tasting. If you try a small sample and it tastes Ok then it's Ok
If there is a problem, the taste, and possibly smell, will let you know pretty quickly

All my brews are in the same fermenter for two weeks. In this cold weather fermentation is fairly slow. I wouldn't go over three weeks though.

+4 weeks in the winter generally not a problem. Can turn in ~2wks in the summer when it's nice and warm.
It's generally benificial to leave the beer on the yeast so that the yeast will clear up it's own byproducts produced during the fermentation, this is also why there's a lot of discussion floating around about racking to secondary.

Fantastic.

I have bottles for 4 or 5 brews atm, but no time in the next 2 weeks to bottle - so I'll just chuck 3 beers on and do it when I'm free!

+4 weeks in the winter generally not a problem. Can turn in ~2wks in the summer when it's nice and warm.
It's generally benificial to leave the beer on the yeast so that the yeast will clear up it's own byproducts produced during the fermentation, this is also why there's a lot of discussion floating around about racking to secondary.
I recently read about the 'diacetyl rest' where the yeast cleans up most of the diacetyl produced during fermentation, which can give off flavours if the beer is racked off the yeast too soon.

Yep, 2 weeks is my minimum, even if it has well and truly stopped bubbling. I would not be afraid of 21 days if your conditions are sterile and cool enough. I'll leave it 15+ days in primary and then rack for 5-7 if it's a lager or cerveza style beer that you want to look a little clearer.

If it is airtight and not too hot then you'll be fine.

Yep, 2 weeks is my minimum, even if it has well and truly stopped bubbling. I would not be afraid of 21 days if your conditions are sterile and cool enough. I'll leave it 15+ days in primary and then rack for 5-7 if it's a lager or cerveza style beer that you want to look a little clearer.

If it is airtight and not too hot then you'll be fine.

So does that mean you should remove any heat source (like an immersion heater) and just leave it as cool as possible once its finished fermenting? I ask this because I bottled my latest batch after it had been in the primary for 5 days at a constant temp of 20c (og 1060, fg 1011), its the first time I've used a immersion heater and it seemed like the beer was slightly carbed when I was bottling. Its been a while since I've done a brew, but I cant remember noticing this when I bottled previous brews.

So does that mean you should remove any heat source (like an immersion heater) and just leave it as cool as possible once its finished fermenting? I ask this because I bottled my latest batch after it had been in the primary for 5 days at a constant temp of 20c (og 1060, fg 1011), its the first time I've used a immersion heater and it seemed like the beer was slightly carbed when I was bottling. Its been a while since I've done a brew, but I cant remember noticing this when I bottled previous brews.

Bottling after 5 days (even if FG is stable) is pretty quick. It wouldn't hurt to give it a rest of another couple of days. I'd aim for under 20c too if poss.

I would remove any heat if you're sure it is finished and let it rest a bit in future before bottling.

I know what you mean about brews appearing slightly carbed as I had this with my Ginger Beer recently, very bubbly in the fermenter even after gravity was stable and had been brewing for 18 days... I worried about how much priming sugar to use it was so carbed up!

Back