Outdoor Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
G'day guys, I've been lurking around this great place for a while but this is my first post :icon_cheers:

I'm getting ready to jump head first into all grain brewing, I've been studying hard and slowly putting my little kit together, after a bit of discussion with the rest of the family I'm thinking it might be best to do my mash/boil/cooling outside to avoid argument, the only problem is I live near a farm and flies can get a bit rampant around here...

Do any outdoor brewers find that flies become a problem or do you think they will steer clear of my little operation

Cheers guys :beer:

first of all welcome.

I know in my experience making my beer inside, I would still get the odd fly dropping in for a visit, Possibly set up a mozzie net and work under it?

G'day guys, I've been lurking around this great place for a while but this is my first post :icon_cheers:

I'm getting ready to jump head first into all grain brewing, I've been studying hard and slowly putting my little kit together, after a bit of discussion with the rest of the family I'm thinking it might be best to do my mash/boil/cooling outside to avoid argument, the only problem is I live near a farm and flies can get a bit rampant around here...

Do any outdoor brewers find that flies become a problem or do you think they will steer clear of my little operation

Cheers guys :beer:

Howdy Gar. Nope, never get flies but I do get the odd bee coming round for a nosey. Must like the smell of sweet malt boiling. They lose interest eventually and bugger off. You'll be right.
Cheers
Steve

Nothing wrong with brewing outside. In fact most people do as they don't have a Brewery room (as much as we'd all like one).

If ur meaning brewing outside and not undercover then that's still ok. Quite a few of have done that with no issues. Just make sure u clean ur gear properly pre and post brew. Otherwise you'll get dust dirt maybe a cockroach but nothing serious. Well at least in my experiance and knowledge of other brewers experiance.

Of course if u lived next to a smelting or pesticide manufacturing plant I might be a bit mote worried!

Hi Gar.

Ive only ever brewed outside. Haven't had any problems with flys ( where I live we get loads ) but have had a bug or two get in to the boil. As long as the bug is boiled and you dont mind the fact you might be eating bugs, it won't affect the taste at all. Infact they make good flucculant :D

Legham.

Bees though, different thing entirely.

I frequently get bees coming to check out the runnings. I keep my water sprayer handy to drive them off.

cheers

grant

I brew in the garage with the doors wide open, I get a few little fruit fly's hanging around when I'm sparging but once the burner gets cranked up they soon disappear. Never had bees come in though

Awesome, thanks guys, that's put my mind at ease.

Now back to putting my manifold together....

Gar

Welcome to AHB - from experience I know you'll pick up a lot of good advice here.
I'm upgrading my brewery soon and will have an esky mash tun with manifold and sparge arm up for grabs, a 32 jet mongolian butner, stand and reg. and 2 alu pots, one 40l and the other 50l....
Not sure where you are but if you're in Melbourne and can wait a couple of weeks you might be in luck!

Gar

Welcome to AHB - from experience I know you'll pick up a lot of good advice here.
I'm upgrading my brewery soon and will have an esky mash tun with manifold and sparge arm up for grabs, a 32 jet mongolian butner, stand and reg. and 2 alu pots, one 40l and the other 50l....
Not sure where you are but if you're in Melbourne and can wait a couple of weeks you might be in luck!

Thanks very much for the offer Iain but I've just about got myself set up :icon_cheers:

Just got to whack my copper manifold bits together and bend myself up a chiller

I searched for about twenty minutes (very rare for me; you can thank me later) to find some pics on a thread here about a brewer who brews outdoors. From memory (beer abused and sketchy, admittedly) she lives in a fairly isolated area and their electricity is solar and resorces are few and far between. She brews on a wood fire pretty much in the middle of a paddock.... and her beers are consistently awesome! I think you'll be fine...

Oh... it's later.. ;)

My mates and I have joked about brewing on an open fire but I just never thought you would get flames with enough force to get a good boil going....I should give a go..brew beer billy tea style.

Any chance of a link to the pic you searched so hard for?

My mates and I have joked about brewing on an open fire but I just never thought you would get flames with enough force to get a good boil going....I should give a go..brew beer billy tea style.

Any chance of a link to the pic you searched so hard for?

Only said I searched for it, didn't say I found it....

Send a PM to a member by the name of 'pint of lager', she might be able to help you out...

One pot had plastic handles. After multiple brews, one cracked off, the other remains (just a stock/cooking pot now).

The other is a small stainless pot with stainless handles so no problem.

I now have a keggle, gas burner and immersion heater so the weber is retired.

I started AG brewing Outside, now have a Man
Cave. Stuff the flies, the wind is your worst enemy.

Only said I searched for it, didn't say I found it....

Send a PM to a member by the name of 'pint of lager', she might be able to help you out...

I recall a lady brewing outdoors on oz.craftbrewer.org but alas the site is no more :(

Latest posts

Back