out of date white labs yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almopec

Reaction score
Hi all,
Quick question
should I use an out of date white labs yeast (San Diego super yeast) that fizzed like I was opening a beer, when I opened it?

I was planning on making a starter to see if I could get it going again after finding it at the back of the fridge.

No big deal if I can't, but thought I'd check before wasting my time with it.

Cheers
Al

What he said. I've had had one like that actually work too, no starter just an amazingly long lag for a wheat beer yeast. Make a starter and be sure.

I find most white labs fizz and bubble when you open them, but if its old def go a starter.

almopec said:
Hi all,
Quick question
should I use an out of date white labs yeast (San Diego super yeast) that fizzed like I was opening a beer, when I opened it?

I was planning on making a starter to see if I could get it going again after finding it at the back of the fridge.

No big deal if I can't, but thought I'd check before wasting my time with it.

Cheers
Al
I always make a starter with yeast I'm not too sure about and then test prior to opening the cube and pitching. If it is no good I'll either make a fresh starter with fresh/different yeast or use those couple of packs of US05 we all keep in the fridge for emergencies.

How out of date are we talking here?

You can use http://yeastcalc.com/ to estimate the amount of viable cells left. White Labs production date is exactly 4 months before the "best before" date (for 99% of their yeasts anyway, special bacteria strains I believe are 6 months).

It's 18 months out of date, but not too worried about that as I was always planning to try it with a starter first. I am really keen to try this yeast as I got it a while back before taking a breaking break from brewing before moving and renovating a new home.

I was mostly concerned that it fizzed when I opened it as I never remembered them doing that before.

Thanks for helping everyone.

Cheers
Al

If it fizzed it means it has at least been active and is prob just dormant. Think of it as a small beer.

Ducatiboy stu said:
If it fizzed it means it has at least been active and is prob just dormant. Think of it as a small beer.
That makes sense I guess

The last white labs vial I opened fizzed (well and truly in date). Actually, it fizzed so much, it took 5 mins of opening and closing the lid so that I could avoid a spillage. Needless to say, that abbey ale starter took off like a stabbed rat.

Out of date white labs yeast are a very cheap and easy way to try new yeast strains. As long as you make a starter and prove you yeast there is generally no worries. I have used this with 862 cry havoc and 007 dry english ale both worked great.
At $6 a tube its hard to go wrong

Back