Ordinary Response Local Home Brew Store

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this mean in Spring you brew beers for Summer or something?
Basically this...
brewing lagers in winter when it's cold & suited to lager fermenting temperatures. Save them to drink in summer.
brew ales in summer when it's warmer & suited to ale fermenting temperatures. Save them to drink in winter.

Yeah I know it's a rough theory. It all depends on the garage temps and all that. To be honest I stop brewing in summer as it gets too damn hot in my garage.
But you get the idea.
(Save beer... yeah right, I can barely wait the fortnight for the bottles to carb up :beerbang: )

Try having kegs, it's even worse. You only have to wait a week (or a day if you force carbonate).

Temp control - $30 freezer and a $16 STC-1000. Brew what I want two weeks before I want it. Much more efficient.

The other issue with brewing in winter for summer is that lagers don't age well in the intervening time period at ambient temps - they're supposed to be stored at cellar temps for that time period in a secondary vessel, not at ambient in the bottle.

Goomba

What kind of pussy only drinks lagers in summer?

Not me, but for the sake of the argument I put that one out there.

I'll be nailing malty APA, Weissbiers (well roggenweiss ATM) and whatever else amuses me during the summer.

Might try my hand at a lemon myrtle witbier - I like that beer, though I know it polarises people.

I do like lagers, just very rarely, though i may do a few this summer. Been a few years between drinks though haha.

My favourite beers are stouts / porters / big IPA's no matter the time of year.

I guess if I was drinking in the sun I'd go for a sessionable APA or something.

Half the beers I make are lagers. Usually Pilsners of some sort. Luv 'em.

What sort of pussy doesn't like Bohemian Pilsner? or Schwarzbier... or all the others?

Not this pussy, just too lazy to make it.

photo-15962.jpg

Went into my local HBS two days ago, asked wether a particular grain was crystalized or needed mashing no one knew so they rang the " bloke who knows" and handed me the phone. Tried explaining the difference to the expert after being informed you "just boil it up to give a bit of body" Expert then Hung the phone up with " you must think you know more about this than me" I wasn't the least bit rude just trying to find something out about what was stocked on the shelf. Spent a lot of money there in the past setting up my system. Won't name the place in WA because normally the main man is there and he's quite helpful. I did let him know by email I wasn't happy and let him know I ordered in a truckload of stuff from another outlet. Hope the expert got the rough end of the pineapple.

When I first told a HBS I was going to start all grain I was told "Why would you bother with all that effort when you can get FWKs here"

"because FWKs cost $50 each and I'm limited to what you sell and I can make what I want every bit as good or better for $1 a litre - that's why"

** Note, that was what I thought, not what I said ;)

Back