Ordered My Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stowaway

Reaction score
Ive orderd my beer filter + all the extras.

Just wondering, the people who dont use the gravity and use co2, Do they do their fermenting in the kegs?

Can this be done jsut the same way as a normal fermenter? What about the airlock?

When I used CO2 to push through the filter I still used a standard fermenter and attached a bulkhead fitting with some plumbing to get the CO2 from the regulator. I had to continuously turn off and on the regulator as you only need to tiniest of pressure. There's a thread on here somewhere from PP who set it up orginally.

Nahh it was pumpy :
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ilter++bulkhead

Search is your friend!!!!! He uses gas here but you could use gravity as well.

All up it wasn't saving me much time over gravity (by the time you setup the plumbing etc. etc.) so I've gone back to that.

Don't think there's too many that use corny kegs as fermenters...... too small for reasonable batch sizes and you can't see what's going on inside. How do you get the beer out. The first few litres through the liquid out would be all yeast.

Ive orderd my beer filter + all the extras.

Just wondering, the people who dont use the gravity and use co2, Do they do their fermenting in the kegs?

Can this be done jsut the same way as a normal fermenter? What about the airlock?

There's no reason why you can't ferment in the keg, just don't fill it up too high. But then again, after you filter and transfer to another keg you are going to end up with a final capacity a lot less than you would have if you'd just used a normal fermenter.

You'd probably be safe to just lock the pressure release valve open, but don't quote me on that. Alternatively you may be able to clamp a small balloon over it with a pin prick to let the gas vent out and keep the nasties away.

Or, you could even use one of these adjustable pressure valves:

http://craftbrewer.com/shop/details.asp?PID=1069

You could set it really low, or set it higher and carbonate at the same time as fermenting... sort of like the way the OzTops work.

I've used gravity twice now, I can't see why I bother to force it through with gas. I even found that it probably ran a bit too quickly with gravity and I should have slowed it a little.

Is the reason you want to ferment in the keg because you don't want to rack it a first keg to chill prior to filtering? I just drop the whole fermenter into the chest freezer for half a day, taking care to remove the airlock and cover the hole with a piece of tape. Then I filter direct from the fermenter to the final keg.

I didnt actually want to fermenent in a keg.

ive just been looking at lots of diagrams and it looks like people are filtering it from one keg to another keg in the diagram.

couldnt figure out why?

ive just been looking at lots of diagrams and it looks like people are filtering it from one keg to another keg in the diagram.

couldnt figure out why?

G'day Stowaway,
When the filters became more popular for use in home brewing a year or two ago the best idea at the time seemed to be a keg to keg transfer enabled with CO2. As more users played around with them gravity was found to be fine as well as filtering directly from the fermenter. As always, it's a horses for courses thing i.e. what sort of equipment you have and what technique you become comfortable with. I like gravity as there is less chance of your filter element being damaged through excessive pressure.
I hope this clarify's things for you (pun most definately intended :p )
Cheers
Doug

couldnt figure out why?

I ferment in a fermenter, then rack into keg to lager for a few weeks then filter to another keg. It works a treat if you have a few spare kegs.

My fourteen day "ale" routine goes something like this:

- in the fermenter for 10 days
- transferred into a spare corny for additional fermentation period of 3 days (longer if I can wait)
- overnight in fridge chilling down
- transferred into another corny via a 3-stage filter
- force carbonated and let settle (about 3-4 hours)
- on tap

I was planing on just fermenting for the right amount of days. then chilling in fermenter to 2 degrees last day of fermentation.

then transfer into keg via filter and and chill for a week while carbonating.

I ferment in a fermenter, then rack into keg to lager for a few weeks then filter to another keg. It works a treat if you have a few spare kegs.

When u rack it to a keg do u chill the keg? what temp?

my biggest issue isnt the amoutn of kegs. its the fridge space.

I chil the fermenter down to 2-3degc to drop most of the yeast out then rack to the keg to lager 2-4weeks depending on the strain of yeast ( lager ). Better to lager in either glass or SS rather then plastic. If you are doing ales then you can chill in fermenter then filter to keg and gas up and serve although I would still wait a week or two before drinking to let condition.

Latest posts

Back