Options For Boiling Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tones0606

Reaction score
Just about to move from K & K to All Grain BIAB and was wondering what people use to boil wort.
At the moment i only have a 19L Big W SS pot and will be using the stovetop.
In the not too distant future i will be wanting to do full boil and maybe even double batches.
I was thinking of getting a 50L pot and using a gas burner (or is electric element better)
I have had a look around and just wanted some feedback about different options.

Cheers

Just about to move from K & K to All Grain BIAB and was wondering what people use to boil wort.
At the moment i only have a 19L Big W SS pot and will be using the stovetop.
In the not too distant future i will be wanting to do full boil and maybe even double batches.
I was thinking of getting a 50L pot and using a gas burner (or is electric element better)
I have had a look around and just wanted some feedback about different options.

Cheers

If you think you might want to do double batches, then get a 70L pot. Not too big for singles, and good for doubles

I use an Italian Spiral Burner with Medium Pressure adjustable regulator

I use a 3 ring burner with standard regulator on my 50L pot and it works fine. But if I had the cash I would get a spiral burner + HP reg, or a few electric elements.

I have an Italian Spiral burner which is pretty good :) but I would prefer an electric immersion element :(

I have an Italian Spiral burner which is pretty good :) but I would prefer an electric immersion element :(

What are the benfits of electric?
The Italian Spiral Burnel looks good and fairly cheap

I use an old s/steel keg that I cut open with an angle grinder. For fire I use a ring burner on a gas bottle. My burner is a little small though - takes quite a while to get the boil happening. Bunnings doesn't carry them anymore. Any one in Melbourne know a supplier ? Thanks, Charlie.

What are the benfits of electric?
The Italian Spiral Burnel looks good and fairly cheap

An electric element is cheaper to run than gas and more efficient as it sits in the wort and no heat is lost around the outside of the pot. A handheld immersion element can also be used for heating your strike water, then for adjusting your mash temp, and finally for boiling your wort. It also means you don't need to buy an expensive kettle as you could theoretically do the whole brew in a plastic bucket (provided the plastic can withstand boiling temps). That's my 2 cents.

3 ring gas burner, med regulator and 50L ali pot .... cheap, simple startup BIAB rig. I bought this to start with and now can't think of a reason to change. I spend the $$$ on the stuff that matters - grain, hops, yeast and kegs
Goes like a beauty
Cheers
BBB

I have a spiral burner but use it for my HLT. I use a 3 ring for my keggle & find it much easier to control my boil. I've got an adjustable med pressure reg for both of them.

Latest posts

Back