Opinions Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Just put down my first partial and thought I would ask for any opinions. So here it is,

500g Marris Otter
500g Caramel Wheat
500g Munich 2
200g Flaked Wheat
70g Choc Malt
2kg LDME
500g Dry Wheat Extract
20g Tettnang @ 45 mins (4.2%)
40g Tettnang @ 20 mins
20g Tettnang @ 5 mins
Mashed Grain @ 67.8 C (I actually hit that temp straight off the bat, very pleased :D )
Craftbrewer Weizen Yeast
26 litres into fermenter

The hops were boiled in the grain licquor and wheat extract (6 litres total, after the mashing & sparging I had to boil it down a little to avoid boil over before adding hops) then the DME added with 5 mins to go on the boil. Smells bloody nice from the fermenter, currently at 20-22 deg. The only thing I'm concerned about is my OG was 1050, which is a tad low I would think, I guess that means my efficiency was freakin terrible

Dunkel without the colour? Regardless, looks very tasty indeed.

Cheers - Mike

i did some quick calc's i didn't have the yeild figure's for caramel wheat or dry wheat extract but it seem's that you did get good efficiency
of about 80 odd %

Dunkel without the colour? Regardless, looks very tasty indeed.

Cheers - Mike

The colour actually looks pretty good in the fermenter, I only added 70g choc malt cause the caramel wheat gave it a little.

i did some quick calc's i didn't have the yeild figure's for caramel wheat or dry wheat extract but it seem's that you did get good efficiency
of about 80 odd %

That sounds good then, Beersmith gave me an estimated OG of 1060. I prolly don't have the equipment set up correctly

I can't wait to have a taste, I'm hoping that the slightly higher temp will give me some nice bananna esters this yeast is capable of

Well, cracked the first one last night and I think it turned out very well. Nice caramel/chocalate flavours underlying the wheat followed by a beautiful bannana note. I don't think this one will last very long so this weekend or next will be doing another. I think I'll add another 30-50g of the choc malt though because in the glass it does look a little on the lighter side of dark, but I'm not complaining :D . I am starting to feel the power of the dark side B)

Very cool.
Im on the look out for eveyones best Aventinus recipe.
I keep fluffing up my own.
:(

Very cool.
Im on the look out for eveyones best Aventinus recipe.
I keep fluffing up my own.
:(

I brewed this once, in Oct 1997. The keg ran dry just before xmas. Over xmas I managed to find a fresh bottle of Aventinus. When I tasted it, I thought that it sure tasted like the batch I just ran out of. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) tasted it and said "it tastes just like the one you made." That was followed by me jumping around the kitchen pumping my fist and yelling "YES!" I haven't been able to get around to brewing it again. Maybe this year.

5 gallon (~20l) batch.

Grist:
2.4kg Maris Otter 2 row
400g caravienne
325g chocolate malt
163g caramunich
475g home made caramel wheat
475g home roasted wheat (230F for 45 min then 300F for 45 min)
3.15kg wheat malt

The caramel wheat was made by stewing unmilled wheat malt @ ~65C for an hour. Then I spread the wet malt on a cookie sheet and dried it in the oven @300F until dry.

I actually did a triple decoction for this batch - this was during my decoction kick when I decocted damn near everything. The mashing regime was: 98F (37C) -> 135F (57C) -> 154F (68C) -> 167F (75C).

Hops:
28g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.2%) mash hopped
42g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.2%) 90 minutes (17 IBU total)

Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat
OG 1.068
FG 1.015

If I (when I) brew it again, I'll just do a single infusion @ 68C for 60 minutes, then ramp up to 75C for mashout.

Back