Opinions On This Ingrediant

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
ok this is gonna sound weird and probly crazy but i was walking past a gum tree today and thought could you some how encorporate gum tree leaves into a "Aussie Brew" eg. boil them then remove them outta the water.
I have no idea what they taste like but. yeah was just a thought anyone done it/ think its a great or horrid idea

PS. dont ask me why i thought of doing this just a random crazy idea haha

ok this is gonna sound weird and probly crazy but i was walking past a gum tree today and thought could you some how encorporate gum tree leaves into a "Aussie Brew" eg. boil them then remove them outta the water.
I have no idea what they taste like but. yeah was just a thought anyone done it/ think its a great or horrid idea

Try a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a glass of beer, it will give you the general idea (and probably a sore stomach) But I would guess that not pleasant is the most likely answer.

try wattle flowers, they used to use them in the old days!

Or you could use the bark of a Sassafrass tree. That's what the old fellows used to make beer in the bush.

I highly recommend barley, hops, water and yeast. They work great in beer.

Apparently the skin from the quandong tree fruit is quite bitter. I have been thinking about using it in some kind of aussie ale for a while, as a bittering agent.

Eucalyptus oil is very very concentrated stuff and toxic. I would not recommend one drop in a glass.

A few ways for you to sample what a few gum leaves will do.

Grab some gum leaves, boil them up in some water, tatse that water when it cools and see if you would be happy with that flavour in your beer.

In a PET bottle, use a eucalyptus lolly to prime a bottle of beer.

eucy oil doesn't taste that flash but if i were going to try this i would
look for the leaves off a lemon scented gum and get the old dryer ones which haven't goy much oil left.

could be a waste of a lot of what could be otherwise good beer.

try wattle flowers, they used to use them in the old days!

some time ago, i bought a stubbie of something brewed with and called "wattleseed" from memory a nsw micro? it wasnt great. euca leaves in beer :icon_vomit: , try pol`s suggestion re. a cough lollie in a bottle first.

haha yer wasn't actually gonna do it (would be a waste of beer if it turned out crap, which i'd expect) but interesting to hear what people said

wattleseed.jpg
haha yer wasn't actually gonna do it (would be a waste of beer if it turned out crap, which i'd expect) but interesting to hear what people said

:rolleyes:

The first beer released is the Wattle Seed Ale, which starts with a blend of Australian and European malts, creating a rich flavour base of caramel with a hint of chocolate. The smooth malt flavours are lightly hopped and then infused with roasted Wattle Seed, bringing a unique and authentic Australian flavour to this fine red ale. The result is an outstanding ale that boasts a smooth taste profile balancing its robust character, an ultimately rewarding yet distinctive beer. At 5.8% ABV and offering a long and lasting flavour, the Wattle Seed Ale is best enjoyed with or after a meal, complimenting a juicy steak, rack of lamb, or a prosciutto and rockmelon starter. Alternatively, this select ale will be enjoyed at almost any occasion by those who enjoy something special in a beer.

For me, the Barons Brewing Wattle Seed Ale had a strong caramel flavour with roasted notes typically associated with wattleseed, however it lacked any real wattleseed flavour what so ever. I had imagined a strong coffee, chocolate and hazelnut flavours infused into the beer, but it just wasnt there.

A few minutes searching on Google confirmed my experience with the general consensus of reviews on the internet asking where is the wattleseed flavour? Maybe its the lack of wattleseed which is infused. Who knows?

Its great to see micro breweries trying to do something different to stand out on the shelf, but maybe they should have sought some professional experience with relation to using native flavours in manufacturing for maximum impact. Its one thing to say you use something, and its another delivering on flavour. I strive to do the later.

Barons Wattleseed Beers is available in Sydney at most independent Liquor Shops Pubmart, Liquor Stop, Chambers, Porters, Valore, Jims at Waitara, Brookvale Cellars and Kemenys.

Those that are interested in trying a real wattleseed beer, grab a bottle of your favour beer and add just a 3ml of Vic Cherikoffs Wattleseed Extract to your beer. Enjoy the real taste of wattle and note the effect on the palate as it cleanses any residual bitterness of the hops preparing your taste buds for you next sip of true wattleseed beer.

wow sold, haha

where can you get this wattle seed

Straight Eucalyptus is probably a bad idea but as suggested before, wattleseed is pretty good. So is lemon Myrtle. in somethign like a Wit or Heffe. The same mob that do the wattleseed also do a lemon myrtle wit that's quite nice. Othe possibilities for a bush tucker beer - quandong, kakadu plum, native finger lime, lillypilly (I'll be trying a lillypilly wit when our trees fruit). You coukd even try something like mountain pepperleaf in very small quantities in a spiced ale.

Cheers
Dave

Those that are interested in trying a real wattleseed beer, grab a bottle of your favour beer and add just a 3ml of Vic Cherikoffs Wattleseed Extract to your beer. Enjoy the real taste of wattle and note the effect on the palate as it cleanses any residual bitterness of the hops preparing your taste buds for you next sip of true wattleseed beer.

Sounds interesting. Where would I find Vic Cherikoff's Wattleseed Extract?

Cheers - Snow

Dunno about the extract but you can but roasted wattleseeds from Herbies Spices (http://www.herbies.com.au no affiliation etc etc). I'm not sure whether to add them to the mash, boil or as a dry hop...

At the moment I'm thinking boil.

Cheers
Dave

I was thinking of trying one using absynthium (worm wood) and cataria nepeta (catnip). when I was a lad my old man used to brew one with horehound instead of hops and I am led to believe that prior to hops being used in england the used to use the humble nettle. Have also read about other herbs and recently seen a doco on how they are making spirits using lemon myrtle and other such oddities on kangaroo island. I would think that if you were to use eucalyptus it would be in very small amounts and would have to be the fresh tip leaves or flowers. Also the oils in it would probably be contrary to your beer wanting to keep a head. Mind you I believe the flavours imparted may be quite interesting

Eucalyptus oil is very very concentrated stuff and toxic. I would not recommend one drop in a glass.
I did say it would probably give you a guts ache, thats what I was meaning :icon_vomit:

"A-Z of Chemicals in the Home" says:

"If taken in small doses (eg one or two drops in a teaspoon of honey) eucalyptus oil is beneficial and will sooth and clear mild throat infections. In larger doses (3-20ml) it can kill. Symptoms of poisoning include nausea and convulsions."

So you are safe with Ausdb's couple of drops in a glass of beer.

You could even make a cold cure out of it.

Is this you?
weil_koala.jpg

Latest posts

Back