Opera Has Gone Stupid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I've been using Opera for a couple of years and have loved it, but it's recently started to go stupid after its last update.
It seems to run very slowly, and for most sites - including AHB - it brings up this type of screen for a couple of seconds before clicking into a page:

browser_window_1.JPG
browser_window_2.JPG

Then instead of just displaying the content it peppers the screen with those stupid arrows "click to download plug in"

browser_window_3.JPG

I don't recall specifying this, and Firefox doesn't do that at all. Also notice how FF displays more content on the same page.

Opera even puts the arrows into stuff like Yahoo Mail

browser_window_4.JPG

I haven't changed any settings, I might go back to FF although I love the Opera speed dial screen :angry:

Any idea what the plug-in is? If it is something legit then update it, otherwise upgrade your security programs.

Give Chrome a try ... it has a few nice features that make it my preferred browser now.

I've gone back to Firefox, the new edition is great. For example the new Opera version takes 5 seconds to load AHB forum, Firefox takes 2 seconds without bringing up that annoying "file tree" page first. I think Opera has tipped over the edge into being bloatware - sad really. Another infuriating thing is that it no longer has a window up top giving you the URL you are currently at - and yes I have tried all the available tool bars - so I can no longer cut and paste a URL into a link in a post here, for example my favourite goat cam.

Vale Opera, once a good browser but they've decided to dumb it right down into a one-click-fits-all browser for old ladies.

I ditched Firefox even on the PC/Windows platform as the latest update was slow, buggy, not rendering web sites properly and not working with all the security and personal data protection plug-ins that I ran with FF for years. I was saddened that even Internet Explorer 9 would correctly render web pages along with Chrome and Safari that Firefox 4 wouldn't.

At work in my team we switched to Chrome which has most of the security plug-ins that we used on FF for Windows. On my crappy Nokia phone I still use Opera because, well its a crappy Nokia phone and it does not take much to make a better web browser experience than the default that ships with Nokia.

I only use FF in Linux. Chrome on Windows. Chrome/Safari on Mac. Opera on Nokia.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

damn, i thought things had got cultural round here and you were talking about the latest la boheme production or something

Latest posts

Back