Oops... Wrong yeast!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
So today I kegged my lager that was racked and conditioned. I stupidly however, dumped a cube of Hefe on top of the cake. It's currently in the ferm fridge at 5c in an attempt to drop all the yeast to the bottom, and then hopefully I can siphon off the top into another fermenter and actually use the right yeast. Good/bad idea? Any other suggestions?

Some lager yeasts may work that low. Why not do a small hop boil and ferment it out as a lager. Should be good for summer in the rat. Do another hefe next time you brew.

I really wanted to use it as a Hefe. I guess I can let it ferment out and do it's thing, and just brew another.

The cubes I mixed up were a Hefe and a 10 min Pale Ale. I've decided to let it ferment out as is, so it's back to 10c for the first few days.

Only other option is probably a short boil to kill the yeast, re-cube and pitch the hefe yeast when it's ready. Never tried it and probably wouldn't, as it would stuff up the hop utilisation calcs, boiled alcohol (if there is any) is fairly unpleasant and I'd have no idea if the yeast would leave off flavours. Letting it ferment out seems the wise option

Hey slc. Put it this way. U can always do the same brew again with the proper yeast. Yeast does make a beer but if you try to do something unnatural to beer making you may have to throw it all away. I would go with the safer option. Document what you did because you could come out with a ripper! ;)

my 2c - I would pitch the W3068 and ferment at normal weissbier temp.

The lager yeast will still be a lager yeast and only contribute a little to the flavour profile.

Wyeast already have a yeast blend (W3056) which is a German wheat yeast and a clean yeast, and it still makes a great wheat beer.

Remember the 30 degree rule, and do it today.

*edit - your original idea should work OK, and you will still have the yeast for your lager too.If it was me, I'd go lower than 5°C, but I never make mistakes with my beer - lol

I go with kingy,I used US-05 alongside a German wheat yeast,(same batch), and it came out better than the liquid wyeast.
Use us-05 for my hefe now.

It appears to me that you should label your fermenters, then you will not have the problem of putting the wrong cube in them.

Drop to 0c for 24 hours, rack into another FV let it warm up and pitch the right yeast. Probably all too late now.....forehead slap....doh.

Les the Weizguy said:
my 2c - I would pitch the W3068 and ferment at normal weissbier temp.

The lager yeast will still be a lager yeast and only contribute a little to the flavour profile.
I Disagree, a full cake of lager yeast at wheat beer temps will go off like a rocket and overpower the wheat beer yeast flavour wise.

Kingy said:
I used us05 in a wheat beer by mistake. It was that good that I used the same yeast the next time as well. Turned out great
I deliberately use US-05 for wheat beers.

I prefer the final product.

Did my grav test today - Finished at 1006. Will not bother doing another test as 1006 is finished in my book, especially when kegging. At 18c and flat, it tastes like any other American Wheat I've had so it's not a disaster all be it a little less bitter. Remainder is now cc'ing. Brewing another Hefe tomorrow, and another Lager on Monday after work to use up both the starter of 3068 originally intended for this, and the fresh 34/70 this one came off. Tasty all the same, thus far.

I'm using us05 in a lager for a bit of fun. Will see how it goes :). Waiting for my temp controller to come in so couldn't get low fermtemps. For me beer brewing is one giant experiment :)

Latest posts

Back