Online News Article On Beer Tax - Www.fairgocraftbeer.com.au

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really good article on excise in the latest beer and brewer mag as well, i urge everyone to read it!

really good article on excise in the latest beer and brewer mag as well, i urge everyone to read it!

Yeah and a big A4 write up on the piece of paper that comes with the magazine for subscribers.

Because politicians are wine snobs? Wine industry has more push and people have the perception that wine isn't part of the alcohol problem.

interesting viewing and reading..wineries get a tax break why can't the micro's

Call me a cynic if you will, but how many pollies and mandarins have a stake in a vineyard or a winery?

Now, how many have a stake in a microbrewery?

There are a few newer breweries that aren't on the list at fairgocraftbeer

Is there a way to do an online petition. I think I have signed one once before for the Qld licence changes. Would we be able to set up an e-petition to try to get the government to waiver the tax for micro breweries. I am sure everyone on this site would be happy to help out the micro brewries and sign the petition. Anyone done this before?
Just an idea to help.
Cheers
Chucka

If the micros can get a tax break - what's to stop them producing bland lagers and undercutting CUB?

How long before the Belgian Dubbels make way to more profitable beers?

Where's the legislation that says they have to produce a top-shelf beer?

Cheaper beer to the kiddies ... more profit to Bob the Brewer.

If the micros can get a tax break - what's to stop them producing bland lagers and undercutting CUB?

more microbreweries churning out craft beer. Remember, its only a tax concession up to a certain point. Once they pass that threshold they are imposed the same tax as the big guys.

more microbreweries churning out craft beer. Remember, its only a tax concession up to a certain point. Once they pass that threshold they are imposed the same tax as the big guys.

Where is this threshold?

Why should the rules be different for the little guys?

30,000L is the thresh hold. Above that and it's the standard rate. They are asking for a sliding scale on the tax so the smaller guys can compete with the mega breweries.

Marketing.

If you cant afford ads on TV, billboards on motorways and a tap at every bar in pubs & clubs across the country, then nobody is going to go out of their way to drink a bland lager that they've never heard of.... Thus, micro's will only ever succeed if they sell good beer.

Very cynical view and it's certiainly not what's happened in the USA. Small brewers deserve AT LEAST the sam tax breaks that wine producers get. Anything short of that is unfair and unAustralian.

Very cynical view and it's certiainly not what's happened in the USA. Small brewers deserve AT LEAST the sam tax breaks that wine producers get. Anything short of that is unfair and unAustralian.

+1 to that. The aus, gov. has supported the wine industry for so long, there is a glut of the stuff they can't sell.

Because politicians are wine snobs? Wine industry has more push and people have the perception that wine isn't part of the alcohol problem.

Someone should quiz the City of Gosnells on how many empty goon bags they clean up vs. empty VB/EE cans ;P

I don't want to knock what these guys are doing in terms of the petition as I think its great that they are pushing for change, but how effective is a petition? The govt doesn't care what we think at the best of times! Is there a better way to lobby for this? We need a home brewer in parliament!

The thing is, if there are more tax breaks for small community based businesses the longer the money stays in the local community longer. Whereas if you buy from a larger company, more often than not the money goes straight out of the community

I don't want to knock what these guys are doing in terms of the petition as I think its great that they are pushing for change, but how effective is a petition? The govt doesn't care what we think at the best of times! Is there a better way to lobby for this? We need a home brewer in parliament!

The thing is, if there are more tax breaks for small community based businesses the longer the money stays in the local community longer. Whereas if you buy from a larger company, more often than not the money goes straight out of the community

Running for preselection against a Federal MP (who does not have ministry) can be a very effective stratergy to make change. Political parties are more than happy to cut deals if they think that they need too. You just need to have the numbers to roll the incumbant.

Latest posts

Back