One year in secondary cold conditioning . . .

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens-Kristian

Reaction score
Hi, all.

Last year in early February, I brewed a Pale ale of sorts (AG). OG 1046, finishing at 1010.

At the end of February 2013, I transferred to secondary and put it in the fridge, planning up to two weeks there.

To cut a long story short, I have been stupidly busy the last year and never got around to bottling and it's still in the fridge. I only do bottle-carbonation as I don't have kegging equipment.

It tastes pretty good out of the fermenter still, but what are the thoughts on bottling it after this long? No matter what, I'm not throwing it out as I simply do not believe in that approach. The question is, do I go for an experiment of simply priming and bottling to see if it'll catch, or do I introduce new yeast to it to give it a better shot. I'm a little bit inclined to just go ahead with priming and bottling to see if the yeasties may actually still have it in them at this stage, also because the homebrewing world is full of 'you can't do that' and 'two weeks is the limit!' advice, when very often that proves rather incorrect.

Does anyone think it'd work just to prime and bottle, or is that simply bordering on utopian optimism?

The yeast is T-58 and went off like a rocket back in primary fermentation (from 1046 to 1012 in less than 20 hours).

Cheers,

Jens

Have you taken a recent reading?

Can't see why it wouldn't be fine to bottle?

I say go for it

I reckon add a packet of t58, maybe hydrated, then take out of the fridge and bottle.

yep, hydrate a little yeast (half packet), put the yeast and priming solution in your bottling bucket and rack your year-old beer on top of it with a good whirlpool action if you can. bottle away. you'll be good.

I'd add yeast. If you really want to find out, just leave 5 unprimed and mark them. Beats having to reseed a whole batch and rebottle.

No way I'd chuck it if it tastes OK though. I have left beer (deliberately though) for similar lengths of time and have added a small amount of extra yeast when bottling.

My thoughts would be if it still tastes ok go ahead and bottle. Hopefully it might be a wake up to some of the (by the book) Nazis on here

If it still tastes good out of secondary now, sounds like you may have a nice cask conditioned pale ale. You could just drink it as it is. Was it under air lock or something? Carbonation may be just right if so.

Trevandjo said:
My thoughts would be if it still tastes ok go ahead and bottle. Hopefully it might be a wake up to some of the (by the book) Nazis on here
There are by the book nazi's here?

Good experiment though. Or you could just cut out the experiment and do the sensible $5 thing and add some yeast.

Edak said:
Of its a plastic fermenter then it would be oxidised would it not?
I was wondering this too. Maybe not if its been cold the entire time? Would Autolysis be an issue?

There is the potential for oxidation but it's not a guarantee. I've had some beers in plastic for over 6 months with no obvious off flavours from oxidation

The transfer to secondary and the cold would have reduced the risk of autolysis adding off flavours. As OP said - tastes good.

manticle said:
There is the potential for oxidation but it's not a guarantee. I've had some beers in plastic for over 6 months with no obvious off flavours from oxidation

The transfer to secondary and the cold would have reduced the risk of autolysis adding off flavours. As OP said - tastes good.
missed secondary - either way you've paid for a year of refridgeration... most expensive brew ever.... bottle that sucker - might just turn out to be like sullivan's single malt...

Thanks, all.

I'll go for the middle ground as suggested by Manticle; I'll probably do ten bottles or so without new yeast and then add some to the rest. I'm generally happy to 'challenge' the rules a bit. My motto for the past 8 years of brewing has always been that if Ol' Bess at some farmstead in central Yorkshire was able to brew a decent beer in wooden buckets in her barn back in 1634, then surely I can manage to do the same in a 21st century kitchen (even if my kitchen is from the seventies).

S.E. - I like your thinking. It's not actually that far off being OK for that style - but still just a bit too low in carbonation for that. I tend to carbonate relatively low though, as I find most beer to be overly carbonated - even some of the better ones on the market.

With regards to oxidation, there doesn't seem to have been any. I'm using a plastic fermenter and I've never actually experienced any problems with them on that front. I once left a stout in secondary for nearly 3 years. That was involuntary though, as the fermenter was in Denmark and I had moved to Australia. My sister found the fermenter sitting there, tasted it and told me it was the best stout she's ever had. Knowing her attitude to beer, I wasn't too surprised when she later told me it was gone, and straight out of the fermenter she'd kept herself reasonably pissed on it for two weeks. :)

Just remember ol' Bess also used to wall up stray cats in the farmhouse to keep away Black Annis, remove infection by 'bleeding' and treat leprosy using nowt but saltpetre and well water.

Trevandjo said:
Communist

Guess it depends on when you want to drink it, if it's been there that long your probably not in a hurry. My guess is both methods will work but adding yeast will be quickest as the yeast won't have to build it's numbers back up as much.

Jens-Kristian said:
S.E. - I like your thinking. It's not actually that far off being OK for that style - but still just a bit too low in carbonation for that. I tend to carbonate relatively low though, as I find most beer to be overly carbonated - even some of the better ones on the market.
How can it be just a bit off being OK for that style? Are you some sort of by the book Nazi? :p

Back