One year in secondary cold conditioning . . .

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for reviving this one - and for not updating on the outcome. Still busy.

Anyway, even after this post, it took me nearly two months to get around to bottling, which was done on 19May. I'd actually decided to add yeast for everything other than a few bottles for the sake of experimentation but when I got around to it, I couldn't get S.E.'s comment out of my mind, that I might be a bit of a by the book nazi lol.

I bottled the whole lot, primed with raw sugar, without adding more yeast. Experiment, don't you know. One week out from bottling, I tested and there was pretty good carbonation and after two weeks even better. At three weeks it was fully carbonated and all fine.

I've been drinking it and it's pretty excellent, although the dryhopping I did of it back when I first put it in secondary is a little subdued. I am normally quite sensitive to things that taste oxidised and I'm not getting any of that in here.

I really need to leave things for a year in secondary more often. Perhaps an argument to have several brew fridges. :D

So far then, my 'maximum time in secondary' for a beer that I actually end up carbonating is a bit more than the usually proscribed period of 2-3 weeks. 66 weeks on this one.

Then there's the 4 bottles of my homebrew that I found while home in Denmark visiting my parents a few weeks ago. These were brewed in June 2006. Perhaps a separate post about these ones. lol

Interesting topic.

I was rooting around in the brew shed to get the gear out having not brewed a batch for well over a year and I stumbled upon 4 unopened bottles. These were an attempt at a belgian style ale made on 20 feb 2012.
Anyway, i put them in the fridge and cracked them- was delicious! nice smooth malty flavour with gentle hoppiness.
Good head retention.
Goes to show.... over 2 years of wildly fluctuating temperatures....

beer image.jpg

Thanks mate! not sure if I have the patience to bottle condition all my brews for 2 years though!

g

Latest posts

Back