One Pot Jail Cell Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, this suddenly became an interesting thread ! Wax !

Out of interest, why do you insulate when you could put the whole pot in an oven pre-heated to around 100c then turned off ? I just bought a 19l pot and it fits in....

Here's someting frightening - we have EXACTLY the same oven/stove combo.

Three cheers for innovation, Nick. You may redeem yourself yet.
+ 1 all round! Redemption & all!

Seriously, I've wondered about much the same thing as I've cooled my stockpot in the laundry tub. Viz, is there some way to ferment in this pot too? I mean, its pretty darned sanitary now its been boiled for over an hour (and a half usually in my case), so, oxygenation aside, why the hell not? Now we know there could be a way, so well done Nick.

We could all stock up on stockpots instead of fermenters and cubes, the 'large- w' ones are less than 20 clams so approach traditional plastic fermenter pricing, I guess.

Its much more attractive than the prison hooch inoculated with bread in a sock we talked about a while ago. :icon_vomit:

Oh, and wow, aren't there are heaps of us out there using ~19L pots for BIABing, to the point where I'm almost tired of hearing about them! ;)

Nick, You are fermenting in there as well?

That's the point. A TRUE one-pot beermaking process.

Pre-Carbonation stages, of course....... or is there a Pt. 2 ? Wonder if the post-fermented product could be chilled in the fridge, then ladelled into a glass and given a dose of pocket sparkle?

OR just carbonate the whole pot after chilling, AND drink out of the pot. That would be a nice start>finish process.

Imagine the 'yeast moustache' you would have.

The wax is like the cap on a no-chill cube. Things cooling down have a nasty habit of sucking in air - and air be full o bad bugs.

Remember how Nana used to pour wax on top of their homemade jams in the jar?

There's two options when the wax is cracked and the yeast added - one is to bash up the wax and leave it in there floating about but I prefer to take it out (comes out in a sheet) and roll it up to use next time.

Couldn't you bash a hole in the middle, pour your starter in and then pour more wax over the top to seal it?
I spose the Krausen would push it out of the way and flow over the top putting a barrier between the wort and yeast......

Hmmm, wouldn't the gladwrap suck down just making a tighter seal during the no chill rendering the wax seal negligible?

is Wax something that can habour bacteria or just put it some kinda suspended animation.....

Should I have another beer or is 8 enough?

mmmmm, Might have another chunk of mettwurst

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE????

What?, no, huh? SHUTUP SHUTUP SHUTUP!!!

Couldn't you bash a hole in the middle, pour your starter in and then pour more wax over the top to seal it?

Like a Royal Seal ? I don't know if Nick has one. :lol:

I reckon you could take a small steel rod, heat the rod up to 'scarring' temperature, then plunge it vertically into the wax blanket, and leave it there. Then take a sterile chopstick and pop out the cut-cookie that will be in the wort side of the rod. There's your air release. The wax supporting the rod probably won't allow you to attach a tube for blow-off into water, but you could just stick a band-aid (or better - micropore tape) over the exposed end of the rod. Sanitary, and easy.

Should I have another beer or is 8 enough?

Son, you have some catching up to do :icon_cheers:

Like a Royal Seal ? I don't know if Nick has one. :lol:

I reckon you could take a small steel rod, heat the rod up to 'scarring' temperature, then plunge it vertically into the wax blanket, and leave it there. Then take a sterile chopstick and pop out the cut-cookie that will be in the wort side of the rod. There's your air release. The wax supporting the rod probably won't allow you to attach a tube for blow-off into water, but you could just stick a band-aid (or better - micropore tape) over the exposed end of the rod. Sanitary, and easy.

Son, you have some catching up to do :icon_cheers:

Mate, if you can think that shit up after more than 8 beers, I bow to thee!

PS: sneaking in number 11 whilst the shed :icon_cheers:

So........... where did Fermentation come into this beewax seal thing? I think its a lot of frogshit Nick. You having us on huh. :eek:

So........... where did Fermentation come into this beewax seal thing? I think its a lot of frogshit Nick. You having us on huh. :eek:

Wax seals HOT wort.

Wort cools slowly, but can't drawn in da bad bugs because wax forms seal (very simple no-chill method).

When wort COOL, wax removed and yeast starter added!

Wax seals HOT wort.

Wort cools slowly, but can't drawn in da bad bugs because wax forms seal (very simple no-chill method).

When wort COOL, wax removed and yeast starter added!

How much of a flavour profile does the wax impart?

Here's where we're at.

The wort has cooled, but probably not to room temperature yet (19C) - better to be safe than have fried yeast.

Look at all those tasty floatie bits in the wax! Oooooh la la. Gormet beer.

IMG_0294.jpg

The wax layer is about 4mm thick. Smells nice - when the lid is removed it's like hops, honey and malt.

So it's high time some yeast got bred up. About 3g of S-04 (yeah - I know, I know ... rubbish yeast) is added to about 5 teaspoons of dextrose (got no LDME at the mo) and stirred. The water was from the tap (Shhhh! never had a problem with it) which is one of those taps that aerates the crap out of the water so your glass is white with tiny, tiny bubbles.

IMG_0293.jpg

By tomorrow, with a bit of luck we'll have copious yeasties in their prime.

How much of a flavour profile does the wax impart?

Virtually none! Initially, when I melted it down in a water bath I had some hops sitting there on the bench - so I threw some in.

It certainly smells nice though. I'm not sure of the chemistry, but maybe the flavours trapped in wax are not water soluble?

Hi Nick,

Does wax affect head retention? Wax is probably slightly soluble in alcohol, No?

Do the alpha acids of the hops remain in the wort or are they also bound-up in the wax?

cheers

Darren

I don't think wax is soluble in ethanol. You need ketones and esters to solubilise wax. Don't quote me as 100% correct (or me thinking that I am) until I've checked.

I don't think wax is soluble in ethanol. You need ketones and esters to solubilise wax. Don't quote me as 100% correct (or me thinking that I am) until I've checked.

Yeah i was thinking that there would be a small amount of oil that would separate from the hot wax and remain in the wort???

I lurve the "Turn it up to 11" reference - it's soooo Spinal Tap :super:

Seriously, it's an interesting method of brewing Nick. Where it the inspiration for this come from??

Latest posts

Back