One Malt, One Hop Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
After reviewing my brews over the past year I can see they have got progressivly more complext with malts and hops. So I am after some ideas on single malt and single hop addition beers. The KISS method of brewing. I guess the obvious choice is Weyermenn Pils and Saaz but I am after something different, maybe with Ale malt and one hop. Also any thoughts on a mash shedule to get the most out of the malt, as we can't use and cyrstal so maybe need to mash warmer.

Steve

Hey Steve

Can recommend one duo highly. Pale Malt and Southern Cross.

Made a single Malt/Hop beer with this recently and it was great. :)

Quick description of Southern Cross. Very high alpha (around 16%) but the bitterness is very smooth indeed. Similar in a lot of ways to German Hallertau but with a bit more of a lemony finish and some spice. Subtle and probably perfect for an all pale-malt grist.

Edit: From the craftbrewer site description:
Spicey and lemon character typify this high alpha variety.
Southern Cross also has slight piney, woody hints with low cohumulone.

Description:
Pedigree A triploid cross between New Zealand variety “Smoothcone” and variety “53-5-61M”. Bred at the New Zealand HortResearch Riwaka Hop Research Centre and released in 1994.

General Description Spicey and lemon character typify this high alpha variety, but Southern Cross also has slight piney, woody hints. It’s interesting character make it a useful aroma hop. A cultivar with an excellent essential oil profile and low Cohumulone, and still producing alpha acid at 12 %. Southern Cross imparts a very “European” flavour in beers.

Warren -

SJW,

Not quite a 1 malt 1 hop brew, but I test all my hops on a very simple recipe of 4.5kg Marris Otter to 500gm wheat, with 1 90gm pack of hops spread through the boil for approx 34 IBU's. This simple English Summer Ale style is a great way of show casing hops. Give Challenger a go, it's one of Englands gems....

Cheers Ross

Yo warren was that the southern cross the one i tried when i came over? was some weird hop i'd never tried but it was super delicious!

was just talking about this to hairofthedog last night, one hop, one malt. Only way to educate your tatste imo. Why we need a different hop to bitter is beyond me, bitter is bitter right? you might just need a tad more of a hop to bitter if the AA aint right.

I have a thing for an all pilsner malt brew.

nz hallertau works great in a number of simple brews

it's great for subtle bittering and aroma, so it works well where you've got a good yeast to bring out additional characteristics

Pale malt with Tettnanger to mid 30's IBU and US05 works well.
Add most of the hops after 30 minutes.

After reviewing my brews over the past year I can see they have got progressivly more complext with malts and hops. So I am after some ideas on single malt and single hop addition beers. The KISS method of brewing. I guess the obvious choice is Weyermenn Pils and Saaz but I am after something different, maybe with Ale malt and one hop. Also any thoughts on a mash shedule to get the most out of the malt, as we can't use and cyrstal so maybe need to mash warmer.

Steve

Thats strange, DrSmurto and I had this exact conversation yesterday! I will be doing a bitter with Galaxy and EKG, a Bo Pils with NS, just did a Bo Pils with D Saaz, I am sure there are plenty of beers you could make with 1 grains and 1 hop if you really wanted to.

EDIT: Spooling

Yo warren was that the southern cross the one i tried when i came over? was some weird hop i'd never tried but it was super delicious!

Yeah Fents that was the one. :D

I've got a similar one on the go now. 100% BB Pale Malt (beer in my sig). Showcasing Simcoe as an aroma hop. Also has some Tettnang and Styrian Golding plugs 15 minutes from flameout.

The grapefruit/melon of the Simcoe sits well on the floral tones of the Euro plugs. Lovin' it. B)

Warren -

Kev, That is scary....

Of the grand total of 13 AGs to date, the best was 100% wey pils, 100% saaz (until i went an overcarbed it). Despite my best efforts to KISS i find on average 3-4 malts in every brew and normally more than 1 hop!

At least i have managed to stick to one yeast, well, almost all of the time :p

SJW,

plenty of good advice in the above. However, I would just say that I find it is also important to consider the qualities of your yeast before you decide on your malt variety and mash temp. For example, if you are using a "malty" grain such as MO with a low attenuative yeast, like some English varieties, you may not want to raise your mash tem and may even want to lower it.

Regarding recipes, I can vouch for Ross's approach with MO and Nelson Sauvin, combined with US-05. Beautiful.

Cheers - Snow

Regarding recipes, I can vouch for Ross's approach with MO and Nelson Sauvin, combined with US-05. Beautiful.

Ditto or Golden Promise with Willamette.

I did a nice Weyermann Pils with NS too.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the tips. I might let my 4 keg's run dry and have a few weeks off the drink, and then do a couple of these. Willamette sounds good, and the Nelson Sauvin too.
For near 60 AG brews now I have been using a different bittering hop and a different flavour hop and then aroma hops without really understanding if its nessesary. I doubt my taste is complex enough to even tell the diff. So I might go back to the KISS method for a few, at least with the hops anyway.

Steve

good timing for this thread..

i have 5.5kg of galaxy malt just sitting there and a bunch of random hops....

i was thinking a pseudo lager 5.5 kg of galaxy and some Czech saaz, i have about 70gms of it... any idea of what the additions should be?

ferment with us56

I have done another almost 1 gain 1 hop,which is 90% jw export pils,10% wey carapils with 24 ibu of northern brewer or tetnang,this brew comes out similar to cascade pale ale,cant make enough of it.

good timing for this thread..

i have 5.5kg of galaxy malt just sitting there and a bunch of random hops....

i was thinking a pseudo lager 5.5 kg of galaxy and some Czech saaz, i have about 70gms of it... any idea of what the additions should be?

ferment with us56
Morning Troydo, with only 70 grams of saaz you may need most of them for bittering (60 minutes) keep the rest for a 30 minute addition. :D

hmm i thought that too... any suggestions what else to bitter with?

Latest posts

Back