One for you IT guys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I seem to be getting pop ups on some sites, they are Coles, IGA, loose weight, you won, all that sort of crap. Usually at the bottom of the screen. Both IE and Firefox, I run AVG and have run Malwerebytes. Pop up stopper in enabled.

Any ideas? Must be easy for you dudes.

Batz

Batz said:
WTF is that all about?
An amusing jest on his part.

Sound like something got by AVG. Update your definitions and do a scan to see if that finds the culprit.

Not an IT guy, but have you cleared your recent history and deleted cookies.

:ph34r: waits for the hammer blow.......................

Batz said:
WTF is that all about?
Ubuntu is a Linux Operating system. Bit like Windows is a Microsoft operating system and mac/osx is an Apple operating system

Ubuntu is free doesnt suffer viruses like windows.

Mac/ubuntu/Windows all basically do the same thing. They just all look different.

Linux kicks arse

I put adblock + on Chrome it has killed all the ads even the sponsor labels at the top of the AHB page. You can switch it on and off though for each website.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Forgot to say using adblock+ in Firefox could help
Thank you that fixed it. Let me know if you need some mechanical work done.....I may not be a wizz on computers but after 41 years as a mechanical fitter there's little I can't fix that has nuts and bolts.

Batz

Batz said:
Thank you that fixed it.
Nope. It just hid it. The code may have nastier stuff attached than the bit that is throwing ads up. Ensure your antivirus is up to date and adequate.

I'd recommend you run malwarebytes again. Run a full scan. There are also a couple of free browser protection tools malwarebytes offers on their website to protect your applications from hijacks. They're good.

I don't normally get viruses, being sane with what you visit it's not so bad, so I had no active anti virus for nearly 3 years. Some crap did creep in though and made windows slower and chrome slower and xbmc and the tv tuner software get errors. Pitched up 27 bucks for malwarebytes permanent license since the scan on the free version killed all of the problems.

practicalfool said:
I don't normally get viruses, being sane with what you visit it's not so bad, so I had no active anti virus for nearly 3 years.
Yeah... you know... with no active antivirus you don't actually need to visit a website to get attacked. They did a honeypot trap a few years back where they attached a bunch of unprotected windows boxes to the internet and monitored them. Didn't do anything on them. No web browsing. No emails. Nothing. Just plugged them in and waited. Within an hour 80% of them had been infected with something.

Antivirus is your friend. If you are cheap and don't (or can't) pay there are some good free ones. ClamAV is good. Avast do a good free version. AVG free used to be pretty good as well.

Cheers
Dave

Yea, I was cheap. Had a corporate version of mcafee for active protection (as good as nothing) and the free mwb for periodic manual scanning.
A lot more peace of mind with mwb setup to do its thing though. I started suspecting the infection when XBMC started playing up since it keeps downloading data on the media library. Than Chrome did it's slow boot thing. I think what happens is most people don't link 2 and 2 together and do something about infections till too late.

I use MWB pro too and find it quite good especially if you frequent torrent sites.
Also Hijackthis is freeware that should detect any browser infections.

As a bare basic,for the average net user running Windows,I'd be using MWB and a good AV.Sophos would be my personal choice,but some very good others out there.A less well known one is F-Secure,very good it is. A good security suite is essential on the net.Don't be slack,lot's of free versions out there.The ad stuff is easy to fix..malware can cause immense trouble though.Prevent it happening rather trying to fix it after infection is the go.And piss off Windows..go UBUNTU :D 802388-bigthumbnail.jpg

While the OP has the attention of the IT brainstrust, what are some recommendations for dealing with rootkit infections. I found one a month ago after 'trialling' some graphics software from piratebay, I suspect. Tried a few various free anti-virus/rootkit scanners but couldn't get rid of it. In the end played it safe and reformatted the hard disk. Do you guys have any recommended programs for dealing with rootkits? Sorry to OP for derailing topic.

Rootkits are bad news. Any malware is to some degree. Only way to be sure is to blow the disk away and start again. As long as all your removable media is clean so you don't get reinfected.

Back