Omg I Dropped My Gromet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

Reaction score
Yesterday I racked a lager from primary to secondary, all going well, apart from the tap not turning off when taking a sample for gravity, and spewing a bi tof beer on the garage floor, anyway I digress.

Racked and put back into brewhaus and was pushing the airlock in when pop the @#*#*&^ gromet fell into the beer.

Luckily I had a second which was clean so I used that to ensure a nice seal.

So should I fish the rubber gromet out of the beer?

Will it leave a rubber taste?

Or should I just leave it all alone.

Note: I am planning to leave the lager in secondary for a week then throwing into the fridge for a bi tof lagering treatment, so the offending gromet may be in the beer for 4 or 5 weeks.

Cheer

Brownie

Yesterday I racked a lager from primary to secondary, all going well, apart from the tap not turning off when taking a sample for gravity, and spewing a bi tof beer on the garage floor, anyway I digress.

Racked and put back into brewhaus and was pushing the airlock in when pop the @#*#*&^ gromet fell into the beer.

Luckily I had a second which was clean so I used that to ensure a nice seal.

So should I fish the rubber gromet out of the beer?

Will it leave a rubber taste?

Or should I just leave it all alone.

Note: I am planning to leave the lager in secondary for a week then throwing into the fridge for a bi tof lagering treatment, so the offending gromet may be in the beer for 4 or 5 weeks.

Cheer

Brownie
[/qu

Hay brownie. i would leave it mate, trying to get it out will only increase your risk of infection, just let it go and see what happens mate!! i recon it will be fine. i gues a positive is that you had a spare gromet!!!

Cheers

your not a real brewer untill.........

it will be fine, get it when you clean up

i remember shitting myself first time i did it.

beer was fine.

cheers

Tony......Yeh the words that came out of my mouth were not for the Vicor to hear on Sunday, lucky the kids weren't helping me.

Thanks for your replies, and recommendations.
BIGRO that was the reason I ain't done it yet was my fear of infecting my brew. Yeh lucky I had the spare gromet and was clean too.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Brownie.

Use the COOPERS Grommet......
CAN'T push them in......
You can pull them out..but can't push em in........
PJ

Everyone's done it, only real horror story I've heard about it was a bloke who stuck his arm in to fish it out.

G'day Brownie,

Check out the Balls Ups thread for a good chuckle. I did a similar thing with the fermenter tap... you can read about it in the Balls Ups thread, or via direct link here. We've all been there. :lol:

I'm sure your brew will be fine :)

Let the gromet be at one with the beer...

It will be a happy gromet

Your gromet will taste like beer

Your beer will not taste like gromet

Everyone's done it, only real horror story I've heard about it was a bloke who stuck his arm in to fish it out.

:lol:

I did that in a chilled kettle the first time i used hop flowers. they do nasty things to a 1/2" pickup. up to my armpiut in 50 liters of beer and i get acalled to work for a breakdown.

well the air turned blue and the kids ran for their lives.

It turned out fine.

my first mash stuck so bad i couldnt suck it out the outlet, i bucketed it out into a big nappy bucket, rebuilt the pickup with some SS mesh (its still the same) and poured it back in. The beer won an award from memory.

nothing good in life is easy. I tell myself that a lot

cheers

Latest posts

Back