Old Grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Retro Ghetto Meister
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have about 20kgs left of a sack of JW Pilsner grain I bought just over 12 months ago. Its uncrushed and has been stored in an airtight container.

Will it still mash alright? I have heard of grains going slack, but I thought that was for crushed grain.

I'm going to give it a go later in the week, but thought I would check if anyone else had experience with older grain.

Tim

Give some of it a munch Tim, it should be crisp and great tasting, if it's gone slack it will be soft/dull to the tooth and possibly even slightly moldy/earthy flavoured.

Hey Tim,
I once used 6 month old grain and it was fine. The comment above sounds like a reasonable test. Depends mostly on storage.

Thanks for the replies.

I brewed today and the grain was fine.

I am using purchased pale malt purchased 7 years ago. Bought 1 ton of it and down to the last 100 odd kg. My OG is still the same as when first purchased and same as the end taste. I keep all my grain in 200 litre screw top black plastic containers and kept in a cool area. Each winter I malt approx 200 kg which I make into medium and crystal and it keeps also for years, how I know is I gave some to another brewer and his missus gave it back to me when he fell off the perch and I used some of it recently and it's still ok.

You bought a ton of it.

You gotta appreciate ambition.

And you're nearly finished. Also love the fact that you're malting it yourself.

Back