Old Goulburn Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollux

RoachHaus Brewery
Reaction score
Drove back from Canberra today, decided to swing by the Old Goulburn Brewery to sample their wares.

Tried the:

Goulburn Gold: 2.7% quite flavoursome light
Fine Sparkling Ale: A traditional real ale, quite tasty.
Goulburn Stout: Made with no hops.

After sampling decided to purchase a couple of longnecks of the Stout
canberra%20030.JPG

And a "stubby" of the Sparkling Ale

canberra%20032.JPG

That's a 3L swingtop bottle.......Amusing part of it is I can return the bottle on a "swap and go" system and walk away with a full one for $28.........Although I might just keep it for myself....

Nice, love the bottle.
Could you give us a description of the Stout without hops? I'm intrigued.

Cheers
Andrew

Alot of roasted flavours, wife picked up some burnt caramel.....

Quite a little stout, which won it some favour with the wife as she doesn't like stouts with a heavy mouthfeel or high alc%

I dropped in there about 10 years ago and took me a while to find someone to sell me some beer. Funny little place. It was extract brewing back then. Have they switched to grain ??

I'll be heading for the Southern Highlands somewhat before Christmas to visit rellies at Berrima, is the name "Old Goulburn Brewery" a claim that they are using the premises of an original brewery (which they surely must have had at some time in the Nineteenth Century) or is it just along the lines of "Ye Olde Gift Shoppe"?

Wouldn't mind going up to G to photo some of the terraces still remaining there and if the beers are any good will have a look at the Old

Bribie: this is their website, bloke who served me made comment about using the original recipes that have been used at that location since the 1800s.....

Plastic Man: I'm actually not 100% sure on that one, no mention was made to suggest in either direction, one would hope they are using all grain.

Bribie: this is their website, bloke who served me made comment about using the original recipes that have been used at that location since the 1800s.....

Plastic Man: I'm actually not 100% sure on that one, no mention was made to suggest in either direction, one would hope they are using all grain.

Unless there lying on there website they say there traditionalists!

According to the website their stout contains no hops and their ales contain only a 'dash' of hops. :eek: :eek: :eek:
OK I'm sucked in, will be visiting in November. I'll try anything once.

According to the website their stout contains no hops and their ales contain only a 'dash' of hops. :eek: :eek: :eek:
OK I'm sucked in, will be visiting in November. I'll try anything once.

Yeah I wondered about the DASH! Berrima is a nice town. I had dinner at the whitehorse or something like that. first time I ever had creme brulee!

I wonder how they go with the tax on the stout as all beers must have at least 4 ibu,s or they could be taxed at the RTD tax rate. Its not that im worried or any thing just my wife works in tax and sent me some info today so i just thought it might be of interest.

How can you tell if your beer meets the definition?
Conventional beers are bitter in taste and do not have the sugar content of many other beverages. The amended definition of beer sets a minimum limit of bitterness and a maximum limit of sugar content in the final beverage.

In summary, a beverage is a beer if it is brewed and:

is the product of the yeast fermentation of an aqueous extract of predominantly malted or unmalted cereals, but may also contain other sources of carbohydrates
contains hops, or extracts of hops, so that the beverage has no less than four International Bitterness Units. If it contains other bitters, the beverage must have a bitterness comparable to that of a beverage with no less than four International Bitterness Units
may have spirit distilled from beer added to it if that spirit adds no more than 0.5% to the final total volume of alcohol
may have other substances, including flavours, containing alcohol (other than beer spirit) added to it but only if that alcohol adds no more than 0.5% to the final total volume of alcohol
contains no more than 4% by weight of monosaccharide and disaccharide (sugars)
does not contain any artificial sweeteners, and
has an alcohol content more than 1.15% by volume.

If it contains other bitters, the beverage must have a bitterness comparable to that of a beverage with no less than four International Bitterness Units

I would consider it to have a bitterness easily comparable to 4IBUs, this is from a person who brews IIPAs with IBU counts of 80+

I'd be banking it was caused by the spec grains used.......Probably something I should have asked..

Interesting definitions there lokpikn,

I wonder how the excise man determines what an 'equivalent' to 4IBUs is: since an IBU is defined by a particular substance being present at a particular concentration.

Back