Old Freezer For Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
HI all.
I am in the process of obtaining an old fridge/freezer for keeping my fermenters at even temp etc.
I found a thermostat gizmo that you screw into the side wall of the freezer (im talking big deep chest freezer style)
and apparently it sets or controls the cooling so as to keep it at desired levels. (15-20 deg)
Has anyone here got the same set-up?
Im hoping to get a big enough one that can comfortably hold 3 fermenters side by side.
Just chasing some feedback to see if it is worth it? cheers.

Yep, plenty here use a freezer or fridge for fermenter temperature control.

You can get a whole range of different temp control devices such as:
http://mashmaster.com.au/p/365439/fridgema...roller-kit.html
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2592
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Temperature...%3A1|240%3A1318

They all come with a probe on a lead so you can AVOID DRILLING HOLES INTO YOUR FREEZER(!) - You're likely to be unlucky enough to hit a coolant line = Game over.

Also would suggest hooking up a computer fan to the same controller to help circulate the cool air around your fermentors whenever the compressor kicks in.

Hope this helps.
Tim

Just keep in mind the lifting and lowering required when using 3 fermenters in a chest freezer (I assume you are leaning towards a chest freezer to be able to fit 3 fermenters in).

Wouldnt want to hear you'va damaged your back!

2c.

If it is old like mine then you can get one of these

All you need to do is take off the dial on the old fridge, unplug the existing bulb and plug in the new bulb. About 1min work.

This is what i have.

If it is old like mine then you can get one of these

All you need to do is take off the dial on the old fridge, unplug the existing bulb and plug in the new bulb. About 1min work.

This is what i have.
+1 for this model. My brother in law is a wine writer and his first book was on home cellaring sollutions. He has advised and assited several people in fitting this same thermostat and has recommended it to me for my future brewing fridge.

Cheers!
Jono.

If you have good existing freezing capacity, consider getting a big dead fridge for free and use frozen PET bottles. I've been brewing through this heatwave at 17 degrees using only 2 two litre PETs changed morning and night. Once you get the hang of it you can fine tune your temperatures quite accurately. Downside is that you can only really fit two fermenters in. In my case I have another 'live' brew fridge for cold conditioning but of course no thermostat as I am sitting the fermenter at about 5 degrees.

However there should be some dead chest freezers around and they would probably fit 3 fermenters, and hold the cold better.

Latest posts

Back