Old Cryofine And Head Retention

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sink cut

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have had a recent spate of beer with poor head retention and have been wondering why. I have been following my usual processes across multiple styles but have had a disticntly poor head retention for some beers. I clear my beer either with Polyclar followed by filtering into the keg, or polyclar followed by cryofine isinglass in a short spear keg. I have realised that recently the beer with isinglass finings is the beer with poor head.

To make a stronger case I accidently fined one keg with way more finings than the other from the same batch(my batches are always 2x23L keges), the keg with very small does of finings has only slight HR issues while the keg with almost double isinglass has major HR issues.

Untill recently I have always used isinglass finings in the same manner with zero HR issues. The finings I am using is cryofine isinglass that was purchased about 10 months ago from CB. I have stored it in the fridge but am wondering if the age ofthe finings can some how have a negative effect on HR.

Any thoughts?

I can't speak for isinglass sink cut, I've never used it. I do polyclar, chill then filter and keg. Head issues I don't have, except for the obvious.... :rolleyes:
I do use kettle finings, but I doubt that will help your problem, dump the isinglass and try chilling or gelatine or both.

I can't speak for isinglass sink cut, I've never used it. I do polyclar, chill then filter and keg. Head issues I don't have, except for the obvious.... :rolleyes:
I do use kettle finings, but I doubt that will help your problem, dump the isinglass and try chilling or gelatine or both.

Thanks Raz, Already do chill and gelatin(just a little bit with the polyclar) in the fermenter. Then either filter into the keg, OR add isinglass to the keg depending on the paleness of the beer. I have come up with this method based on experience and the love of bright beer(tastes better than hazy beer).

If I drop the isinglass form unfiltered beer it will still be clear, just not bright. Up untill last 2 months I have had no HR issues. Just wondering if age of cryofine can make this happen.

Thanks

David

Had this with racked beers vs non racked beers.

For me as a bottler, it was related to less suspended yeast, hence poor carbonation. Upped my priming sugar (after some careful calcs) and now head retention is good.

Goomba

Back