Old beer book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy

Reaction score
Found this while shifting house. Apparently it's not possible to brew without a pressure cooker...

1444293634679.jpg

That's gold!

wonder if the author is on the forum here? Sounds like he knew his yeast and plastics.

Non leaking tap - Thats bullshit. I've been using leaky taps for years with great results.

Actually the pressure cooker idea may have been the forerunner to self carbonating beer in the keg using fermentation generated CO2 and spunding valve.

Or not.

Reads like pressure cooker was used for hops.... interesting wonder what some nice leaf hops pressure cooked for 10 minutes would produce? Hop extract ready to put directly into keg? Hmmmmmmmmm

fraser_john said:
Reads like pressure cooker was used for hops.... interesting wonder what some nice leaf hops pressure cooked for 10 minutes would produce? Hop extract ready to put directly into keg? Hmmmmmmmmm
kwWt4Fy.jpg

and I'd imagine the cohumulone and essential oils wouldn't be too happy at 120c. Could be wrong though, apparently Sierra Nevada steam distill their fresh hop cones for an extract now. I don't know too much about distillation though.

S.E said:
Does that book only cover extract brewing or all grain as well?
It was a 1970's book, I would imagine it to be extract with grains,funny how the muslin bag seemed to disappear somewhere around late 50's early 60's, wonder if it was anything to do with folk using malt extract?

kunfaced said:
kwWt4Fy.jpg

and I'd imagine the cohumulone and essential oils wouldn't be too happy at 120c. Could be wrong though, apparently Sierra Nevada steam distill their fresh hop cones for an extract now. I don't know too much about distillation though.
Yeah in distillation it comes out hot for a few seconds only and then chilled down to condense, so you would grab the heads(first minute of runnings) to contain all the alpha-acids and then tails (10 minutes?) to grab the bittering oils. Be interested to know what the details around the pressure cooker usage is.

wide eyed and legless said:
It was a 1970's book, I would imagine it to be extract with grains,funny how the muslin bag seemed to disappear somewhere around late 50's early 60's, wonder if it was anything to do with folk using malt extract?
That’s why I was wondering if it included grain brewing, wondered what he used to contain the grain if so.

The muslin bag didn’t disappear in the 50’s or 60’s, at least not the UK or Ireland. Biab bags were illustrated in a lot of late 60s & 70’s books there.

Pioneers! Had no idea that home brewing pre-dated my uni days...

When were the early days in Aus?

Back