OK, You're Here And You Brew, What Else Do You Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do to finance your brewing?

• Office worker...airconditioned, free internet access.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IT..as above, with online games & betting.

• Self employed...OK to start work with a hangover.

• Factory/process worker...thirsty job.

• Other manufacturing...have own welder, built own coolroom.

• Farmer...thinking of planting top paddock to barley & hops.

• Unemployed...spend all day watching your airlock bubble.

• Other...something shady perhaps (HBS owner?)

• Total voters
Working as a Postdoctoral Research fellow on kidney development (Dept. Biochem & Monash Uni).

Someone might ask 'what does one of them do?', so here goes..
I'm currently using 3d imaging technologies to look at how our most vital organs develop when we're but wee embryos in our mummy's tummies (but looking at mouse embryos in mice's mummies tummies). Also working out the basic genetic and protein building blocks that make a kidney form from a bunch of naiive cells.
Translation from my work to the brewhouse is a snap.. stuff i do at work (temp control, enzymatic reactions, aseptic technique, culture, etc.) are things you do during brewing. not to mention 1/2 my phd was done using, culturing, and genetically manipulating Saccaromyces cerevisiae strains... :)

Going from a clean lab with precise control over all conditions to the brewhouse at home with wildly varying equipment control and bugs everywhere is very frustrating though. Only ever had one infection though.. and that was in the keg because it was open to atmosphere so I could use my beer engine to draw from it (now has a 0.22 micron filter on the air intake to stop that - no problems since, thought i was tempting fate beforehand).

Working as a Postdoctoral Research fellow on kidney development (Dept. Biochem & Monash Uni).

Someone might ask 'what does one of them do?', so here goes..
I'm currently using 3d imaging technologies to look at how our most vital organs develop when we're but wee embryos in our mummy's tummies (but looking at mouse embryos in mice's mummies tummies). Also working out the basic genetic and protein building blocks that make a kidney form from a bunch of naiive cells.
Translation from my work to the brewhouse is a snap.. stuff i do at work (temp control, enzymatic reactions, aseptic technique, culture, etc.) are things you do during brewing. not to mention 1/2 my phd was done using, culturing, and genetically manipulating Saccaromyces cerevisiae strains... :)

Going from a clean lab with precise control over all conditions to the brewhouse at home with wildly varying equipment control and bugs everywhere is very frustrating though. Only ever had one infection though.. and that was in the keg because it was open to atmosphere so I could use my beer engine to draw from it (now has a 0.22 micron filter on the air intake to stop that - no problems since, thought i was tempting fate beforehand).
ok..you win

I'm currently using 3d imaging technologies to look at how our most vital organs develop when we're but wee embryos in our mummy's tummies (but looking at mouse embryos in mice's mummies tummies).

Just wondering if youre using the synchrotron for imaging?

Still a draftsperson, getting paid for drawing up mineral processing plants, havin' fun with drawing up performance car bits... and bits to do with homebrweing every now and then.

Upgraded from professional student to a nuclear medicine physicist... it's pronounced nucular, nucular :p

It's pronounced New-clee-ar you idiot, the s is silent !

Vertical Transportation Reliability Engineer

read: Lift Mechanic/Electrician :ph34r:

Unreal job and has taken me all over Australia and the greater part of South Australia!

I am a vehicle spray painter,12years and counting I am sick of cars.

good to see i'm not the only teacher or musician here...
i'm a high school music teacher. and singer, conductor, composer, music researcher. there's at least one other singing homebrewer on this site who lives round the corner from me - michael where are you?

good to see i'm not the only teacher or musician here...
i'm a high school music teacher. and singer, conductor, composer, music researcher. there's at least one other singing homebrewer on this site who lives round the corner from me - michael where are you?

Here I am. Guilty as charged.

Just wondering if youre using the synchrotron for imaging?

Not at the moment. We're using Optical Projection Tomography right now, using a high intensity xenon-mercury vapour arc lamp. The synchrotron beamlines aren't in place for ultrafine small specimen xray & UV spectroscopy yet. A colleague recently went to the SPRING8 synchrotron in Japan because the one across the road isn't ready and apparently when running still wont be as good (I don't know the intracacies, and specs change all the time so I hope it does improve). Each beamline is something in the order of $500,000 to get up and running (ballpark, probably is a lot more). Our synchrotron has capacity for (I think) 10 beamlines, and it currently has about 4-5 running I believe.
Management of the place is a mess right now... really sad because its an amazing resource for scientific and medical innovation and discovery.

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='607700' date='Mar 13 2010, 08:23 AM']Currently unravelling $120mil worth of brewing kit....[/quote]

Ok I'll bite

Latest posts

Back