OK, You're Here And You Brew, What Else Do You Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do to finance your brewing?

• Office worker...airconditioned, free internet access.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IT..as above, with online games & betting.

• Self employed...OK to start work with a hangover.

• Factory/process worker...thirsty job.

• Other manufacturing...have own welder, built own coolroom.

• Farmer...thinking of planting top paddock to barley & hops.

• Unemployed...spend all day watching your airlock bubble.

• Other...something shady perhaps (HBS owner?)

• Total voters
a few things for me....

- full time uni student in Newcastle, studying Construction Managment
- Casual cellar door sales @ McWilliam's Mount Pleasant Winery in the Hunter (Pokolbin), i work here every weekend and sometimes during the week when not at uni
- Vineyard manager.... sought of... i live on a vineyard/farm so there is plenty of work to keep us occupied here
- self obsessed home brewer and wine maker
- casual cellar hand for Bimbadgen estate

No rest for the wicked as the say

Again the mold dosen't quite fit for me either..... I'm a Theatre Manager/ Technician for a Private Girls School.
Great job, some IT, some admin, some set building, some teaching, some tech operation, keeps things interesting. :)

There's some great diversity here...great to see! I knew there were plenty of IT-related individuals, plus a bunch of engineers, but great to see other disciplines getting representation.

Process Control Engineer - mainly involved in factory automation of Air Separation Plants and Gas Handling Systems. Started out as a Intrument Technician and found I could make a PLC do stuff.

But thats boring - cos I'm half way through my first AG - yeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

More on this later

RM

Im in telecommunications with the big T mainly broadband ,looking to get into graphic desighn maybe one day when I finish all these labels (lol).
Steve that jobs looking good can you move to sydney
Frank

Started out as a chemist way back, moved across through industrial and consumer marketing and spent the last 10-15 years or so in market research. Curently in media research .

Pokolbinguy- coming your way on the weekend hope there are stocks of the McWilliams Riverina late picked semiilion and the Barwang cabernet on hand.

Cheers

Franko with the logos ive seen you'd get a job anywhere mate. You'd be snapped up in a Sydney design/advertising agency. Good luck
Cheers
Steve

Franko with the logos ive seen you'd get a job anywhere mate. You'd be snapped up in a Sydney design/advertising agency. Good luck
Cheers
Steve

might have to give it a go in a little while

Steve & Wes.

Definitely a small world. :lol:

I started my time on Ludlows as a 15 year old doing the headlines, then moved to cleaning the Intertypes and Elrod casting machines (real fun). Became an Intertype operator just long enough to see 'em vanish from the face of the earth, squirt molten type at me from overset lines and get sold off to private buyers for as low as $50 a piece. Should know my old man (same trade) had one in his garage for about 5 years and I've still got an old Intertype manual that was printed in about 1926.

Moved up to cold composition in about 1981 on an Xenotron then Berthold System then Quadex. Moved to differing jobs after finishing my time and have probably been in the industry in varying degrees for the past 27 years this year. Yes, Steve was familiar with Compugraphic for about 2 years and even got to teach it to new users. :eek:

Any of you guys ever remember the practical jokes in the industry? Picking Wes could tell a few beauties. FWIW Wes we prepare all our stuff on CorelDraw and Quark XPress. :lol:

Explains why you guys like a drink... Didn't hang around with the journos for too long did you? :p

Warren -

Cheers
Steve

might have to give it a go in a little while

Hate to rain on your parade guys. As much as I reckon what Franko does is as good, if not better than some of the pulp that emits from the industry these days without a large portfolio, loads of tertiary certificates and recommendations/references yada yada and if you're over about say 21 years of age and a male wanting more than 35-40K a year, the industry doesn't particuarly want to look at you these days. :(

Sad but true in a cynical, generalistic sense. ;)

That said never hurts to bang on a few doors, nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say. :)

Warren -

Aircraft Structural Fitter here fixing F-111s among other winged things, in another life I was a carpenter for 16yrs.... often find myself wondering why I'm not carpentering now with the money they are making these days.

cheers

Browndog

Nothing too glamorous for me
Started out as an apprentice gardener on Newcastle City Council for 4 years, stayed on another year after that, then headed overseas, becoming things like waiter, bartender, dishpig, painter, consturction, and was fairly average at all! If I hadnt met a chicky and settled down for a little while, I would still be a full time traveller, but that would leave no time to brew! Now I am a storeman in a carpet warehouse on the beautiful (but rapidly expanding) mid north coast of NSW. Leaves me plenty of time to surf in the arvo's and brew at night. May not be the best money, but I could think of worse ways to live!
All the best
Trent

Well Steve and Warren, you guys have pretty much stayed with the front end of the printing process. I spent most of my time platemaking, step and repeat operating and a lot of stripping (that should get the moderators attention!) When I started my apprenticeship the compnay did everything from toilet paper to high quality offset litho. Gradually all the non- litho bits were sold off - the first to go was the letterpress division, then the paper bag and toilet paper dept, then the flexographic dept. We used to print around 40 million cigarette packets a year, playing cards (all the photo masters were on 24 x 20 glass plates) and lots of calendars. These were all hand stripped on large 40 x 50 plate sizes. We also had the rights to some of the early Marilyn Munro pictures from a US company, Western Litho. We never had the famous tiger skin one though, but did have several similar shots.

And yes Warren, lots and lots of lots of stories and tales of woe. Sometime over a beer or two....

Wes

Steve & Wes.

Definitely a small world.

I started my time on Ludlows as a 15 year old doing the headlines, then moved to cleaning the Intertypes and Elrod casting machines (real fun). Became an Intertype operator just long enough to see 'em vanish from the face of the earth, squirt molten type at me from overset lines and get sold off to private buyers for as low as $50 a piece. Should know my old man (same trade) had one in his garage for about 5 years and I've still got an old Intertype manual that was printed in about 1926.

Moved up to cold composition in about 1981 on an Xenotron then Berthold System then Quadex. Moved to differing jobs after finishing my time and have probably been in the industry in varying degrees for the past 27 years this year. Yes, Steve was familiar with Quadex for about 2 years and even got to teach it to new users. :eek:

Any of you guys ever remember the practical jokes in the industry? Picking Wes could tell a few beauties. FWIW Wes we prepare all our stuff on CorelDraw and Quark XPress. :lol:

Explains why you guys like a drink... Didn't hang around with the journos for too long did you? :p

Warren -

Manage a switchboard workshop for largish contracting company. Every thing from estimating, cad design, ordering, supervision and if I realy stuff up even pick up the occasional screwdriver in anger. (read sit in front of the computer all day checking ahb)

Internal sales and support for a large motorcycle accessory wholesale company.

[quote]Own a motorcycle dealership (BMW, Honda, Ducati) in Albury, NSW. Spent 10yrs with the finance arm of a
European car manufacturer until 5 yrs ago, then made the 'tree change'.

Cheers,
Phil
What's the name of your shop Phil?

Electrician employed in a pulpmill working as an Instrument Technician. Currently studying toward formal Industrial Measurement & Control qualification.

Majority of work I do is programming machinery & process using PLC5 and RS3. Last 6 months, part of a team converting RS3 to DeltaV.

got to get narrellan going first lol

Hi Franko,

Ah! the old Donnelly's pub at the top of the hill at Narellan.

Spent many an hour playing pool and drinking Resch's beer during the period you might call the "mispent youth" and of course into early adulthood.
I grew up in that area and --Uh Oh!! off topic, so I wont go on.
Still miss the old home town to a degree!

The Camden Inn, the Plough and Harrow, the Good Intent in Campbelltown and Lacks Hotel,
hell! I've got a tear in my eye!
and the beers that were served over the bar were a lot better in those days (late 60's). Tooth's Old, Rech's ale, and some I can't remember.
Some of the pubs actually had a "cellarman"
I guess the advantage of home brewing is that you get the taste for real beers again.

Cheers and my apologies for the digression from the topic.

Latest posts

Back