Ok Convince Me I Need A Refractometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a known issue..

Source

I don't know about everybody elses, but with mine (from Mashmaster) getting a good clear reading from stout & porter worts is almost impossible. The line is so blurry it's pure guess work.

No need to convince me its the wife who needs the convincing and so far she not buying any of my arguements for one

I am going to go against the grain and say that you don't need one.
A refrac is a handy tool but NOWHERE near as important as your hydrometer.
I use a hydrometer everyday at work but only use my refrac for a couple of quick readings during run off. If i lost my hydrometers I would be screwed.... If I lost my refracs - I would survive.
Having said that..... they are kinda cool and are a very affordable bit of bling.
But they are NOWHERE near as important and versatile as a hydrometer.

Pfffft! What would you know? :p ;) :lol:

undoubted proof that a refrac is a nessecity over a hyrdo.....the big v barleywine brew day we just did. lost how many SG readings we took over the 14 hrs. if we had to screw around with a hyrdo it would have been a disaster (and no doubt we would have dropped and broken them). Refract was invaluble.

cant say ive ever had an issue with not getting a good reading from my refract so IMO i recon its shites all over a hydro.

for repeatability of a refrac you just cant lose on the investment.

Any essential options to consider when purchasing or are they all much the muchness?

I.e. if I look at the CB site, we have
- http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=719 @ $57.50 (analogue, 32 brix)
- http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1135 @ $69.50 (analogue, 32 brix & SG)
- http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3439 @ $169 (digital readout, 0-35 brix)

Am I right in thinking the $69.50 option just saves the "effort" of multiplying the brix reading by 4? And for the barleywine boys, I'm guessing the extra 3 brix on the $169 model weren't required even for your big (as in OG big) brew?

I have birthday money to spend.

Any essential options to consider when purchasing or are they all much the muchness?

I.e. if I look at the CB site, we have
- http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=719 @ $57.50 (analogue, 32 brix)
- http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1135 @ $69.50 (analogue, 32 brix & SG)
- http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3439 @ $169 (digital readout, 0-35 brix)

Am I right in thinking the $69.50 option just saves the "effort" of multiplying the brix reading by 4? And for the barleywine boys, I'm guessing the extra 3 brix on the $169 model weren't required even for your big (as in OG big) brew?

I have birthday money to spend.
I have #2 option. more accurate than just mulitplyng by 4, but yeah thats the only differance between those 2.
digital has auto temp adjustment built in. may be more accurate.

if you were going to get the cheapest option, you may as well get a cheaper chinese jobby. although remember to factor in postage and accept that it may not be as accurate as the other model.

Refractometers are the perfect tool for getting the correct wort SG for a yeast starter/reculture - that in itself is reason enough to get one.

Pfffft! What would you know? :p ;) :lol:

I know you tipped the Storm to beat the Titans ................ COWARD!

:beer:

edit : I like my refrac .. and my hydro. Use them at different times. Tried to use a hydro during a boil - melted the damn thing. Gotta say go for a refrac if you can afford one!

undoubted proof that a refrac is a nessecity over a hyrdo.....the big v barleywine brew day we just did. lost how many SG readings we took over the 14 hrs. if we had to screw around with a hyrdo it would have been a disaster (and no doubt we would have dropped and broken them). Refract was invaluble.
Just playing devils advocate here, but no one knew for 2 days what the effin SG of it was anyway... so my thoughts are, unless you really care, and are learning your system, no need for either a refract or hydrometer.

Gravity only matters if you really care... if you brew (and ferment)to taste, it's all relative.

pre edit, edit: I believe no such thing, and have both. my hydrometer has dust on it.

Just playing devils advocate here, but no one knew for 2 days what the effin SG of it was anyway
:lol: thats cause we were pissed and too busy drawing on fourstar. cant blame that on the refrac!

actually maybe we should have draw the OG on him!

Ok Convince Me I Need A Refractometer

If you don't buy one we of the Queensland Brewerhood will be heading around to your place for few beers, meet the family and the pets :beer: :party: :chug:

Convinced now?

Batz

I have #2 option. more accurate than just mulitplyng by 4, but yeah thats the only differance between those 2.
digital has auto temp adjustment built in. may be more accurate.

if you were going to get the cheapest option, you may as well get a cheaper chinese jobby. although remember to factor in postage and accept that it may not be as accurate as the other model.
Cheers mate, appreciate that.

Cheers mate, appreciate that.

Also note that most come from China and are probabaly as accurate as the locally distributed ones.

Mine cost me 35 bucks landed with 40 'free' pipettes :icon_cheers:

Also note that most come from China and are probabaly as accurate as the locally distributed ones.

Mine cost me 35 bucks landed with 40 'free' pipettes :icon_cheers:
I got 1 pipette with mine and lost it about 2 weeks later. 40 free ones would be a nice sweetener

Yeah I'm seeing EBay has the standard ones for circa $30 (some inc. shipping). The +SG ones are similar price to Craftbrewer though (but is +SG worth +$30? Unlikely...)

Food for thought anyway. Cheers

Yeah I'm seeing EBay has the standard ones for circa $30 (some inc. shipping). The +SG ones are similar price to Craftbrewer though (but is +SG worth +$30? Unlikely...)

Food for thought anyway. Cheers
Bulk Buy?

Ooops, not supposed to say those words here :huh:

Latest posts

Back