Oh No What Have I Done?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAPPAS

Reaction score
G'day Gents,
I put on a brew of Canadian Blonde last Saturday and after 2 days I noticed no bubbling in the airlock so I removed the lid and there was a tiny amount of action happening so back on with the lid and nothing has happened since, what happened? Was the yeast no good? Can I save the brew?It has now been in the fermenter for 6 days.
Please help beer in trouble!

No reason to worry Pappas - leave it another week to make sure it has fermented out and keg/bottle. I leave all my brews two weeks (in jerry cans with the lid a bit loose in lieu of an airlock). :icon_cheers:

don't rely on airlock!! is there any krausen[foam]forming on top of wort[brew]any condensation on lid,has the sg droped from your orig sg,what temp is it ferm at,what yeast?airlocks cause more concern to new brewers than anything else most are caused by lid not sealing properly,trust your hydrometer readings,keep your ferm temp around 18*c for ales,get a better yeast than what comes with kits[could have been kept at high temps for a couple of years]sanitisation/temp control[KEEP BELOW 20c] /better-fresher yeasts are the three main things for a good first brew

G'day Gents,
I put on a brew of Canadian Blonde last Saturday and after 2 days I noticed no bubbling in the airlock so I removed the lid and there was a tiny amount of action happening so back on with the lid and nothing has happened since, what happened? Was the yeast no good? Can I save the brew?It has now been in the fermenter for 6 days.
Please help beer in trouble!

Do you have a hydrometer??? Use that to make sure its dropping points. If it has gone down from your original gravity then its fermenting. No use guessing. (edit:Beaten!!)

O.K, but I havent seen any fermenting action happening and hardly any foam on top.

Every brew and every yeast seems to behave somewhat differently.

I have a hefeweizen fermenting, and it is going nuts, with the fermenter chock-a-block with kraeusen, and the blowoff tube bubbling in the bottle like a drum machine.

A Mild I brewed previously had virtually no kraeusen at all, yet it was all done and dusted inside 3 days.

Relax, what you've done is to make beer.

As advised by InCider, leave it for another week. Then take a hydrometer sample, and if you are within your expected FG range, you're good to go.

Thanks Warra, I have never taken a hydrometer reading, what would you expect it to be?
Cheers.

you should take a hyd reading before you pitch yeast=SG then you take a sample after 3-4 days to see if the reading has dropped when it reamains constant for at least 4 days then it should be finished fermenting and ready to bottle/keg
but you have to get a hydrometer if you havent got 1 yet otherwise your flying blind

Thanks Warra, I have never taken a hydrometer reading, what would you expect it to be?
Cheers.

What were your exact ingredients used, which yeast, and to what volume did you fill your fermenter?

It's a bit difficult to calculate and estimate without this information.

Yep, I used a can of Coopers Canadian Blonde, kit yeast and 1kg of dextrose, I have used the same kit a few times and it is usually bubbling nicely the next day and for up to 4-6 days, then I rack it for a week and bottle.

Latest posts

Back