Oh No, Infection!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After two consecutive infections, filled my fermenter to the brim, double strength mix of sodium percarbonate and soaked for 24 hours. Rinsed a few times back to brewing, several batches since, no problems.

Recommend sod per over bleach

Caustic soda! Use the power of NaOH!

But seriously, try napisan first, caustic is just too damn nasty. That and get some iodophor or phosphoric acid based no-rinse sanitiser, Sodium Met is a crap way to sanitise. I had an infection problem early on that went away as soon as i stopped using sodium met to sterilise bottles.

Do some searches. Sodium Met is not a good sanitiser, Bleach is the only thing that will kill the micro organisms resident in your kit/fermenter. Napisan is not a sanitiser, but it is the best for cleaning. Phosphoric Acid or Iodophor are sanitisers. Phos Acid is no-rinse and easy to use, but I have still had infections using it.

cracked the first of these open last night to try. I marked the bottles in order of bottling so I could figure out which would be affected the worst (those bottled last, as more acetobacter in them).

There was a slight scum on the bottle, but you could not taste it or tell it was there. For a beer in the bottle just over a week, it came out amazingly good. I guess the moral of the story is to bottle before the infection takes off.

cracked the first of these open last night to try. I marked the bottles in order of bottling so I could figure out which would be affected the worst (those bottled last, as more acetobacter in them).

There was a slight scum on the bottle, but you could not taste it or tell it was there. For a beer in the bottle just over a week, it came out amazingly good. I guess the moral of the story is to bottle before the infection takes off.

Taste seems to go with time in the keg/bottle if you catch it early and don't transfer it to keg or bottling bucket. The primary infection is a throw away job.

Good result mate, at least you can drink them it's a PITA throwing beer out. Another little tip, open a bottle of one of your good beers and blend/mix a little of the infected one with it in the glass, makes it even less detectable, blending different beers results in some great tastes anyway.

Back