Oh God, What Have I Done?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
So I'm just knocking off from work, cracked open a Sierra Nevada Celebration we just got in. I know for a fact that this is no more than one and a half months old, so that isn't the problem, and I believe they get shipped refrigerated.

I had this a year or two ago and thought it was super hoppy, the bitterness was very apparent as was overall hop presence. This year it tastes balanced, perhaps towards hops sure, but very tame. I think I have ruined my perception of what 'hoppy' is.... All these 10 minute IPAs, 50g of hops here, 30g of hops there have unrealistically shifted my perspectives on how powerful hop flavour can be. I'm starting to doubt whether or not that summer ale I thought 'needed' more Nelson Sauvin aroma really did need the 30g of NS in the keg that I put in....

I know a couple of people have, but is this a common thing amongst homebrewers?

bit like chick age threshold shift (which is actually one of the pleasant aspects of growing older)

wet_shawl.jpg

I'm starting to doubt whether or not that summer ale I thought 'needed' more Nelson Sauvin aroma really did need the 30g of NS in the keg that I put in....

**** what anyone else else thinks. If you think it works with 30g NS then it needed it.

Yep - absolutely normal.

I cannot drink a commercial APA without thinking "is this it?"

I do feel for the commercial crafties - after all, they 1. Are trying to appeal to a wider audience and 2. Cannot possibly hope to compete hop-wise with a home brewer and still make a profit (or even break even).

I thought SNPA was 'meh' - but my lupulin threshold had already shifted by then.

Goomba

sierra nevada beers are very tame compared to most of the craft beers you get in the states. When I was in Arizona on my first day I was excited to see a range of SN beers on tap, tried them all (half way into the night of the likes of dogfish 90min and arrogant ******* on tap) and thought "meh" figured it may have been in comparison to the extreme beers I was into that night, but alas no; ever since I tried other american hoppy craft beers, SN has paled in comparison to almost all of them.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Lupulin Threshold shift?? I googled it and found it hop related (colouring) related, but no concise meaning

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Lupulin Threshold shift?? I googled it and found it hop related (colouring) related, but no concise meaning

Lupulin is like the oily bits of hops that give the "hoppy" flavour.

Lupulin Threshold Shift - means you get so used to 'hoppy', that stuff needs to be hoppier and hoppier to be hoppy.

A bit like getting used to eating chilli.

Goomba

Mmmmm. I spent 20 bucks on a Mikeller 1000 IBU beer the other week and i'm still thinking 'it was good, more hops needed!'

I love hoppy beers but I think a lot of people need to develop their palates so they no longer just focus on 'this isn't hoppy enough because last week I made a beer that had more hops in it'.

Hops are great, fantastic, wonderful things.

So is malt, and yeast ain't half bad too.

Drink Rochefort 10 and tell me it's not hoppy enough for your liking.

I usually make a malt dominated beer every few brews to set my hop tolerance back. Otherwise all my beers start tasting bland.

I love hoppy beers but I think a lot of people need to develop their palates so they no longer just focus on 'this isn't hoppy enough because last week I made a beer that had more hops in it'.

I agree, I spent ages getting my beers as hoppy as possible, but recently (like the last year or so) I've been working more on balance between malt hops and finish - my beers are the best they've been, heaps of flavour but still able to drink a few and still get the full taste coming through not just the hops.

SNPA is a really nice beer, pretty good balance and still a fair wack of hoppiness (although LCPA is better I think).

Hops are a cousin to Cannabis

Maybe thats how we become Hop heads instead of potheads :party:

We need more and more to get our fix :chug:

I am so in need of hops I'm starting a hop farm. :D

Back