'off' Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flummoxed

Reaction score
For the first time in about 20 brews I am getting an off/sour odour emanating from fermenter. (kit brew)
it's not over-powering but can smell it outside the laundry/fermenter room.

Call me a dill but when the Brewcraft shop fella offered me the saflager yeast for 2 bucks because it was 'near its use-by-date', I checked that it said 'July 2010' and pocketed my 'bargain'.
Methinks it might not be a coincidence that I used the 'oldish' yeast and now have the smell??

Am I right?
Will the brew be OK?......or is it cactus?

I currently bubbling away at 16 degrees .....was pitched 48 hrs ago.........was 24 degrees when it started............

Have you had a taste of it?

Is it the first time you have used a lager yeast?

also try and drop the temp a little bit more.

QldKev

Sulphur smells?

Don't lager yeast produce those smells at the higher temps? I would have aimed to pitch at 16 and drop it to 12C. Using two packets.

Is it the first time you've used a lager yeast?
They are notorious for producing sulphur-type smells, which could be what you are noticing?

possibly mistaking the sulphur for a sourness

Is it the first time you have used a lager yeast?

also try and drop the temp a little bit more.

QldKev

yes, first time with saflager.............may have pitched it at too high a temp - 24
if the sulphuric odour is 'normal' then no probs...........

thanks

yes, first time with saflager.............may have pitched it at too high a temp - 24

thanks

also, i was jumping to conclusions about it being 'off' because way back when, when i had an early stint brewing - about 15 yrs ago.......i just used the yeast that came with the tin...........no safale, saflager, wyeast or firkingreatyeast or whatever.................and occasionally there would be a similar smelling brew so it wouldn't have been the 'lager' yeast causing it then.......

anyway, i'll see how it is when it comes bottin time...............

Yeah Lager yeasts tend to throw a bit of sulphur, next time try and ferment a bit lower, 10-12 degrees is the standard. But for this batch, once it's fermented out crash chill (if you can) and keep it a 1-2 degrees for a few weeks, this should help clean up the beer a little.

thanks

no probs at all, drop the temp if you can to 12 and give it another week or two; finally enjoy your beer...

QldKev

A mate of mine brewed a kit using saflager s23 at a filthy temp of 27c and he said his whole bedroom was filled with a rotten egg smell (sulphur)

I've found S23 does an okay version of a steam beer (lager at ale temps), but I've not brewed that high - more like 16-19C.

Back