Oettinger - Bad Batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adryargument

Reaction score
Started a carton last night and 2 out of 12 smelt like a skunk had crawled up its own butt to die.
I'm not kidding here, it was horrid. Only thing i have smelt about 1/2 as bad was a fermenter full of 6 month old dead yeasties.

The rest of the 10 we opened were fine, however i did think they all smelt a 'tad' unusual - however i was a bit skeptical after the two duds.

Was talking to the guy at the checkout and apparently i'm not the only person who has returned a carton at the local Woolworths.
Anyone else had any issues?

Started a carton last night and 2 out of 12 smelt like a skunk had crawled up its own butt to die.
I'm not kidding here, it was horrid. Only thing i have smelt about 1/2 as bad was a fermenter full of 6 month old dead yeasties.

The rest of the 10 we opened were fine, however i did think they all smelt a 'tad' unusual - however i was a bit skeptical after the two duds.

Was talking to the guy at the checkout and apparently i'm not the only person who has returned a carton at the local Woolworths.
Anyone else had any issues?

A skunk like flavour is most common if the bottle was exposed to sunlight for some time. Unless you use some special isomerized hops it is very easy for a bottle to become sunstruck. The clear bottles are the worst (which is why Carlton Cold and other beers from these bottles use specialized isomerized hop to reduce / eliminate this effect), green bottles are a bit better and brown bottles offer the best protection. Even with brown bottles, if they are exposed to direct sunlight for a reasonable period of time in the shop, truck, storage depot it can produce these sorts of off flavours and smells.
So in summary, it comes down to bad handling / storage of your beer and it could happen to any beer.

and I was under the impression they are mostly sold here in ally cans..

They sell the bottles everywhere they sell cans AFAIK

$30 for a case of bottles, $42 for case of cans

I've never had an issue with them? but I only get the cans these days as they seem to be the best of the bunch, and saves me from doing multiple bottleo trips. Having only 2 kegs sucks so I'm often forced to get them when I'm waiting for things to condition.

I've had some pretty bad lots of this stuff in the past half year while I was out of brewing action, at best it is horribly minerally at worst skunky & emetic or butric; essentially stomach churning crap, something very wrong with it.

Only ever bought one slab on oettinger.
Wondering how you can tell it's "off"?
Won't buy again. Sooner get some coopers if I have to buy beer and can't afford / access good stuff. At least I can reuse the bottles.

I remember drinking oettinger schwarzbier in Germany even it was :beerbang: most of the oettinger pils I get locally is good but never horrid. I've had so many more horrid aussie beers :blink:

Maybe some bad handling or some bottles did not get the full clean treatment at the megamillion dollar bottling plant?

I often grab a carton from Dans, just got one the other day for $27.00. Never had a bad one yet, touch wood, and I quite like this beer if needing a few going out bottles.

kdin10l.png

I get the stubbies regularly, and have never had that happen. So far so good........

Bought some cans recently... last time I had them was about 2 years ago and it tastes different but I'm not sure whether its the beer or my standards!

Go

I don't think it was skunked - otherwise more in the carton would be.
The 3 'horrid' ones were so bad you could smell it from 15 meters away - absolutely vile.

Definitely infection or autolysis driven.

Personally once over the initial taste it is not to bad and very good value for money compared to most other mega swill sold here. I work in the tourist industry and really enjoy the looks on young german backpackers when you drop the Oettinger name. Apparently in Germany it is drunk by bums!!! Not surprising considering the high quality of most german beers :) Value for money though makes it palatable vs Australian Swill

The best value beer out there. I bought a carton yesterday.

Latest posts

Back