Odg! Leaking Keg In A Keezer..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocko

Oh Dear..
Reaction score
So,

Friday night is looking great, pouring an APA and loving life.

SWMBO wants a lo-carb beer, lets not get started on that! Anyway, its brewed, in a keg and in the keezer chilling for filtering...

So, I go to get it out and the Keezer, it has about an inch of BEER POOL on the bottom WTF!

It seems that one of my kegs is dribbling, from the out post... why do I leave the gas on I ask?? Have found the culprit and replaced the post with a 'sealing' one... F&CK!

QUESTION: Do you leave your gas on? Or do you turn it off each night?

IMG_0252.JPG

Took an hour to clean up the beer, waisted beer = about 8L :angry: Not good..

Drained the keezer:

FAAAAARRRRRKKKKKK!!!!

IMG_0255.JPG

Made a freezer conversion myself recently - was wondering how difficult it would be to make an aluminum tray (like a huge cake tin) that covers the bottom inside, maybe two inches deep or so.

Anyone have any kind of removable tray in their freezer for this? Would be cool to just remove every few months and hose it off.

Hi Cicki

I currently turn my gas off but leave the beer lines connected.

A leaking beer line is my fear too.

I'll be interest to read your replies.

btw I bought my initial set up from a shit hot guy on this forum ...

I leave my gas on all the time mate.

I had a leak in my early kegging days, but located it (cracked JG joiner) and now its fine and dandy.

I leave my gas on all the time - no problems with leaking beer or gas yet. Fingers crossed for none in the future...

Hi Cicki

I currently turn my gas off but leave the beer lines connected.

A leaking beer line is my fear too.

I'll be interest to read your replies.

btw I bought my initial set up from a shit hot guy on this forum ...

Its COckO but yeah.. You have a great rig :icon_cheers: but from what I have read you should have a 17 keg, 14 tap system by now yeah? ;)

I leave my gas on all the time mate.

I had a leak in my early kegging days, but located it (cracked JG joiner) and now its fine and dandy.

I am there right now, 2+ years = no issue. Leak = clean. Will still leave gas on.

Did you drink from the bucket?

No. :ph34r: Scooped out with a glaas. :ph34r:

Gotta find the culprit and your good.
I have one keg that is a bit iffy with the pin lock taps. (Fridge holds 3 normal balllock cornys and 1 pin lock)
The keg in question i make sure i supply enough floating beer line to - If theres any sideways pressure it spurts.

Know your system :)

I leave my gas on only when initially carbonating, then when carb'd I turn it off. This won't stop a post leak as you still have 100 or so kpa sitting in there. I have had a keg leak from an out line before and lost about 6 - 8 litres into the bottom of the fridge. Just keep checking and tighten all your lines up. :beerbang:

I've only had my Keezer going since xmas but I have had the gas on all the time. Prior to this I had two kegs temporarily in a fridge with the gas inside it as well with two picnic taps, I actually turned the gas of in there and regassed every few days.

No reason for the change except laziness. No reason really to change either at this point although I don't open it often so hope nothing like this happnes to me...think mine will get opened and checked in a moment!

I make a habit of when sealing kegs to spray starsan all around the posts/seals to ensure a leak but had never really thought about checking the QD's each time, maybe that will change now too.

I used to leave the gas on all the time, but then i had a leak and i didn't have a beer for about 5 days and came back to a empty bottle. Was not impressed about this so now i switch the gas off every night, doesn't take much effort at all. This is also the reason why i force carb me kegs and then just switch the gass of.

i got caught with a faulty reg..empty 6kg bottle in about 3 days..fixed the issue..i know turn of at end of session..but leave line connected..

While dispensing from an upright fridge a few years ago, I lost a full keg of beer. For the life of me, I can't remember the fault in the system but it was something really obvious that took 60 seconds to fix.. loose fitting to shank, I think?

The funniest part was the keg had emptied overnight and ran out 1 corner of the fridge, in a perfect slow trickle out the door of the back room (and outside the house)! So, there was minimal evidence (mess) on the vinyl floor even to the point where I went to pour my first beer of the day and the keg blew dry! It was like a weird wtf dream until I realised (in the manner of 6 seconds) what had happened!

I probably lost a good deal of C02 too, tho the cylinder wasn't dead (hate to use that word as C02 kills, but fitting) dry.

Ah, this shit happens.

Cheers
reVox

Its COckO but yeah.. You have a great rig :icon_cheers: but from what I have read you should have a 17 keg, 14 tap system by now yeah? ;)
you're a funny guy cucku,

you mean the freezer truck i bought and I'm going to drill holes in the body once I get some taps with extended shanks??

img18_0_081110180257.jpg

Latest posts

Back