Odd Cig Regulator Connector

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLightRoom

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I picked up a CIG "mini-reg" regulator from eBay. Turned up - it's in excellent condition as he said, new unused. However he actually sent me two!

One has dials labelled Carbon Dioxide, and has the type-30 std connector, sent with a gas hose adapter also.

However, the 'freebie' reg, has in lieu of the type-30 adapter a male connector; which I was hoping I could get an adapter or have changed for a type 30 (or CGA-320 for soda/paintball bottle?)

Anyone have any idea of what the fitting is? It moves freely back and forth (similar to my LPG on the BBQ actually). Anyone know if I can get it changed to, or get an adapter for a Type-30?
IMG_5116.jpeg

The pressure levels are identical to the other "CO2" reg, and has the output port labelled as such. Any hints or pointers would be great.
IMG_9420.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpeg

Cheers.

i reckon you'll find it's a welding bottle connection.

my mig welding argon reg has a male thread that looks like that...

argon and co2 are mixed for welding and the regs will work for either gas or any mix of them...

as for an adaptor or new fitting.... i have no idea!

As in the previous post, that is one cylinder stems from the industrial cylinders. CO2 changed to type 30 a few years back. You can get the type 30 stem from BOC gas and gear, I think I paid about $40 when I brought one in 2009 to use with a Veriflow lab grade regulator.

Some BOC gas and gear shops have them on the shelf (also the type 50 for nitrogen rich cellarmaster gases if your into guiness type beers). The type 50 shows up in their web catalogue for $46.85.

Ah huh! Thank you mate - so if I want to use that reg, I'll need an Australian version of this: http://weldingdirect.com/a8arregtoco2.html
That may not solve the problem as you do not have a CGA thread

That should work too (verify the thread fits before you hand over the $$), but it adds another 2 leak points to the system and probably costs more than an inlet stem.

That may not solve the problem as you do not have a CGA thread

Oh yeah, that's why I mentioned "the Australian" version - a Type 30 instead of CGA.

That should work too (verify the thread fits before you hand over the $$), but it adds another 2 leak points to the system and probably costs more than an inlet stem.

Would you mind elaborating on the inlet stem at all? I'd prefer not to get an adapter! :)

Thanks mate...

The inlet stem (and nut) is what BOC call the piece that connects the regulator to the gas bottle.

You'll notice that your regulator with the 'bbq' thread has a square section on the rounded end. This allows it to be unbolted with a shifter. When removed it should reveal that it has a 1/2" NPT thread on the regulator which is pretty standard on any decent regulator. It allows manufacturers to make a generic high pressure gas regulator mechanism which can be used for a number of gases when fitted with the correct cylinder connection eg He, N2,O2,CO2,H2,Ar,etc. Obviously you cannot do this to a low pressure regulator such as those used for LPG, Acetylene, etc. Knowing the 1/2" NPT thread is handy since the outlet also uses it, you can normally pick up a converter in the air compressor fitting section of the hardware store to take it to 1/4" BSP to use hose barbs, JG fittings, etc

I did see a BOC technical document a while back (can't find it now but I'm sure some targeted googling would) which detailed what needed to be done to change the inlet stem on the regulator when the australian standards on cylinder threads changed (the old standard had Ar,N2,CO2 with the same thread, could cause confusion to people who fail to read the label and hook up N2 instead of CO2, etc god forbit getting flat beer as a result of it). Since the regulator requirements didn't change no one would be happy changing their entire regulator over for 1 part, hence the availability of the replacement inlet stem to allow people to use the new fitting with existing equipment.

Here is a pic the bare inlet stem (note the N2 one is pictured, but the CO2 is similar)
4988E8345DCE0479E1008000A16402CA.jpg

BOC also have some tech docs on their website showing how the regulators go together

Cheers
Dave

Dave,
You sir are a legend... Now. To find a BOC store/dealer nearby that'll stock them. (couldn't find the replacement inlet stem on their site)

Cheers, Nathan.

No worries, If its not on the shelf it should only take a week to get it.

Would anyone know if it might be possible to remove the high pressure gauge (and plug the hole of course). I know it's 'possible' - what I guess I mean, is would the reg still function without it? I want to use this as my travel/party reg; so trying to pair it down.

cheers, Nathan.

It can be done with a 1/4" NPT plug (my reg has one on its spare high pressure port). You might be able to get one at the gas and gear.
If not then a hydraulic/fluid system (eg Enzed/Pirtek) place or Blackwoods will have them - look in the yellow pages for somewhere local. Just make sure it is rated for high pressure (min 3000psi) since there are different grades and you don't want it blowing out taking out an eye in the process. If the person doesn't know the rating then its safe to assume it doesn't meet the standard (good automotive parts shops have them but they would most likely be low pressure applications).

Note in the previous thread I wrote 1/2" NPT when it should be 1/4" NPT

I dont know if this is any help but these adapters were very common in my day when co2 came g size and had oxygen type fittings on the regs I am sure they came the other way round as well ask an older BOC guy there must be thousands of them knocking around.

CO2_THINGY.jpg

CO2_THINGY.jpg

Hey Dave,

Just an update, looks like our local Gas & Gear store has the correct inlet stem on the shelf.... about $42 though. Will be heading there on Saturday, to pick it up, so will ask about 1/4" NPT plugs also. Both my CIG reg's have one on the spare high-pressure ports also :)

Thanks again for your help mate. Getting the Argon stem off looks to be easy enough; however replacing with CO2 steam... we shall see! Will actually ask at the gas/gear store if they can give pointers.

Cheers, Nathan.

CO2 stem works the same as the Argon, the flared end is hex shaped so you can use a shifter or socket.

Latest posts

Back