Oct '05 Long Brew Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
It is the Oct Long Weekend this weekend (in most States/Territories).

A good opportunity to have a few ales, but also do get some brewing done.
So what are you brewing this weekend ?

I'm 30mins into the mash of an Alt.

Beers,
Doc

Good Day
Brewed a dunkel and German Pils yesterday and hope to brew a dunkel and schwarzbeir on Monday. Will try to get to the Australian on Sunday afternoon for the Okterberfest. Today is mowing, gardening, finishing with BBQing (I have a four beer BBQ).

Well i'm finally ready to have a go at my first AG brew so today is the day. I'm going to be brewing using Gough's bitter recipe. Hopefully all goes wel.

i am hosting an All Grain Day at my place tomooroow...

Making 30ltrs of Lees Harvest Barley Wine - aiming for 1117 and will be putting 16kg of garin in my 37ltr Mash Tun....

Will be Mamoth - wish me luck.

good luck ken.
i brewed a brown ale yesterday and am doing mods to my brewstand today.s/s heat/wind shields and whatever else i think of while ive got the welder out.still have to make something up to support the hlt stirrer and the digital temp gauge box and thermo couple.

cheers
big d

Wishing you luck GMK.

That will be a tight squeeze. At 2.5 litres water per kilo of grain, that is 40 litres, plus the grain.

Even if you back off to 2 litres water per kilo grain, that is 32 litres plus the space the grain takes up. If you use the 2 litres per kilo ratio, it will be hard to stir properly, and with a stiffer mash, you get more dextrinous wort and will have to secondary a long time, to avoid long term bombs.

My barley wine used 16 kg of grain. I only got 12 kg into a 40 l esky, the other four kg was mashed in a large pot, and after sparging and dumping the grain in the tun was transferred to the tun for sparging. Good luck!

Modified my keg fridge today to fit in more (6) and gave the yeast starter collection a bit of a cleanout, Had 27 bottles of different starters, now condensed down to 9 in a different style of container.

Sunday will be a Choc Porter, Monday an English IPA.

No public holiday for me :( Got asked if I can work monday.

Not that this is stopping me from brewing, I have a couple friends coming over tomorrow to help me brew a light beer.

I would love to be brewing, unfortunately I have been house hunting. I am looking for garage space and wife is looking at the rest of the house! Sunday is a trip to the Zoo & watching the Tigers. Monday will be the beach hopefully.As soon as we move in I will be doing an Organic Ale followed by a Fleckovacy, then a Pilz.
Cheers
Gerard

ive just racked my stella attempt, and im about to put down a canadian blonde to commemorate a friend going to canada for 12 months.pity he wont be here to try it hehe

Im working today and monday, spewin.... The closest thing i'll get to brewing this weekend is the WLP570 starter i'll put on tomorrow to get it big enough to pitch into next weekends belgian golden ale.

I'm fine tuning my apa again on Monday. Probably partake of a few ales too.

sun is nsw xmas swap apa for me ... followed by a few vented ales as tigers play the cowboys.

Working on a new pickup tube for the boiler, mounting the drip tray on the fridge, investigating some fridge mods to sqeeze another keg in. Finally planning on doing a lactic mash on Wed for a wit to be brewed next weekend.

Had the long w/ed last week :)

Hey redbeard.........

What you ganna crack your grain with?

I am mashing a 45 liter batch of smoked porter. Secret recipe..... home smoked grain..............

Hey GMK You need to borroy my 50 liter mash ton for that monster.

let me know how you go.

I am thinking of brewing a 1.100 100 IBU imperial IPa with about $50 worth of hops.

Im interested to know the efficiency of a high gravity AG brew.

cheers

Tony said:
Hey redbeard.........

What you ganna crack your grain with?

[post="80622"][/post]​

Hey Tony, just using the last of my bought cracked grain :)
Next time will be using your mill :D
I think ive got the hopper worked out, design wise. Just need to settle on how to lock down the mill & drill to turn it. Im still leaning towards a flat mdf/pineboard that sits on the open esky, have the mill just sit in a 'cradle' & have a couple of posts such the drill shouldnt move around with the help of a bungy rope. i was thinking the hopper could just slot into the mill & cradle & handle about 5kg. hope this makes sense.

cheers

I've finally taken the plunge into 'kegland'.
Some time ago I mashed a pale and a dark lager and I kegged both of those yesterday arvo.
Thinking about making an ale tomorrow, but will have to check the Brownie Pts.
Might make a 'summer ale'....sortof appropriate given the weather.

Pete

Hopsta said:
Im working today and monday, spewin.... The closest thing i'll get to brewing this weekend is the WLP570 starter i'll put on tomorrow to get it big enough to pitch into next weekends belgian golden ale.
[post="80576"][/post]​

Haha who was i kidding!! I've managed to squeeze in a ginger/citrus beer its on the boil, im currently enjoying a few cream ales and the missus is BBQ'ing a couple of T-Bones while we wait for the big game...... pure bliss. If the day keeps going as good as this and the tigers win tonight who knows! I may not even make it to work tomorrow!! GO TIGERS!!! :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back