Oatmeal Stout - 13C - BJCP guidance requested

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skb

Reaction score
I have made another "Oatmeal type" Stout, which I really like. It is basically a Oatmeal Stout with Chocolate, small amount of lactose, some minor spices and a very very small amount of Chili (yes sounds strange). But it is smooth, almost silky feel, medium sweetness stout but just but on the finish there is a very small amount of chili, which I love it makes it a perfect winter drink ... I love it and it is the number one winter hit I probably have at home, despite what sounds strange at first.

I want to enter it into a comp but was wondering what category it would be, I class it as a "Oatmeal stout" but can you enter it into a comp as a Oatmeal Stout and say special ingredient as "Chili". The reason I ask my previous version, which I have slightly tweaked now, I entered into the comp and got a 35 and 37, and a commendation and a the following feedback "ended slightly warm - possible fault" etc.

I was happy with it and I brew it to drink so not interested in making a "non chili" version just for a comp, so wanted guidance ? Can I enter and list Chili as a special ingredient and is this taken into account ?

At westgate stout extravaganza, we don't run a specialty categorie...
You would have to enter it as a stand alone oatmeal and take your chances...

Don't really have an answer for your question, but out of interest would you mind sharing the recipe? Have intentions of finally brewing a stout after procrastinating for too long.

If it is a BJCP comp then you have two choices, take your chances and enter it as an oatmeal stout and get pinged by the judges for the hot finish or enter it in the specialty category as an Oatmeal Stout with Chilli.

Agree, I won a bit of a gong in a comp in 2013 with a perfectly good Australian Pale fermented with Coopers recultured yeast, but with Honey Myrtle as a flavouring. Entered in speciality of course, but it would have crashed and burned if entered as a straight Aussie Pale.

Depends on the individual competition rules. For a BJCP competition, its unlikely to fit in any stout category so would need to be entered in one of the speciality categories and you would need to follow the labelling guidelines provided.

Agree that you're likely to get pinged if you enter it as an oatmeal stout in a comp

Tahoose said:
Don't really have an answer for your question, but out of interest would you mind sharing the recipe? Have intentions of finally brewing a stout after procrastinating for too long.
Code:
OK as per below but this is a bit strange as it has lactose as well as Oats, but profile is very much Oatmeal

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.11 l
Post Boil Volume: 21.84 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 18.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 78.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
10.00 g               Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins)                   Water Agent   1        -             
2.00 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   2        -             
3.00 kg               Vienna Malt (7.5 EBC)                    Grain         3        53.6 %        
1.00 kg               Galaxy Malt (3.8 EBC)                    Grain         4        17.9 %        
0.60 kg               Simpson Chocolate Malt (650.0 EBC)       Grain         5        10.7 %        
0.25 kg               Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)             Grain         6        4.5 %         
0.15 kg               Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1150.0 EBC)  Grain         7        2.7 %         
0.10 kg               Acid Malt (5.9 EBC)                      Grain         8        1.8 %         
0.25 kg               Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 EBC)           Sugar         9        8.9 %         
28.00 g               Brewer's Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min   Hop           10       32.8 IBUs     
0.26 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        11       -             
0.50 kg               Oats (Boil 0.0 mins)                     Other         12       -             
1.0 pkg               REUSE HARVEST - Safale American  (DCL/Fe Yeast         13       -             
263.16 ml             Tincture 2 (Cinnamon, Cocoa, CAP-Chili)  Other         14       -             

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.60 kg
----------------------------
Name                  Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification      Add 32.23 l of water at 72.5 C          68.9 C        60 min        
Mash Out              Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min               75.6 C        10 min        

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Strike Temp 71c, Mash for 90min dropped to 65c.  Longer Mash just as a result of being busy doing other things. 
---------------

Tincture
Made Mason 3 days before brew day
1) 80g Cocoa Nibs
2) 3 small Drops CAP Extreme (500K) - Chili Extract 
2) Small Cinnamon Sticks (10g)
filled to top with Greg Goose Vodka. (yes all I had a waste !)

<< note this add to the ABV so be careful >>

Many comps don't have a spec cat. If they do enter as style first and name special ingredient/ingredients second. In your case -oatmeal stout with lactose and chilli and cinnamon. To be judged properly, it should be judged on base beer (bjcp style) then appropriateness of spec ingredient (ie: does it work?) and how well the ingredient is used.

If it were me, I'd enter in spec and if curious and in posession of enough, enter in stout as an oatmeal as well - just expect that it might lose points.

Latest posts

Back