Oat Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsb

Worth waiting for
Reaction score
Got some Oat Malt to use and was gonna bash out a Oatmeal ish Stout.
Anyone have any feedback on this recipe, haven't done a stout in a long time.
It's gonna be pitched with some WLP023 Burton Ale yeast I've got sitting on top of a bitter right now.

OG1054
FG1013.
5.3% ABV.
35.2 IBU
71EBC Colour

26l Batch. Preboil 42l. 90 min boil. 70% efficiency.

Probably do a low rest for the oats. Bit of Munich I in there to bump the maltiness.
Carafa Special II, I have leftover from god-knows-what but it appears to definitely be dehusked so i'm putting it in mainly for colour.
I only have some old black malt otherwise, no barley. Pulled back on the Oats a little as I've never used Malted as opposed to Flaked.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.16 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 64.0 %
0.65 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 10.0 %
0.46 kg Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (847.1 EBC) Grain 3 7.0 %
0.46 kg Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (108.3 EBC) Grain 4 7.0 %
0.46 kg Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5 7.0 %
0.33 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 6 5.0 %

40.00 g Northern Brewer [9.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 35.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Looks like it's going to be delicious and massively malty (which is never a bad thing in my opinion).

I've never used malted oats, only rolled/flaked, i imagine they might add a whole different character, but if you want to make it a malted oat stout, i would say kick that up a bit, maybe even to closer to a kilo.

Hope it goes well!

Thanks. I'm thinking the Malted oats will be 'nuttier' so going to hold back a little. There should still be plenty of chew in all of the above. I don't want the oat to dominate, just to get that nuttiness/silky mouthfeel.
It's all a bit cobbled together so hopefully there is some balance in there and it's not too busy.

I think cobbling recipes together is what makes homebrewing so much fun. Sure, you could follow the recipe and make a good beer pretty easily, or you could make something up, and it might taste amazing!

I've reconsidered this one overnight (weighing grains tonight) and I've dropped the spec malts back a bit, in retrospect I think 19% is too much.
Gone with 10% Oats after all. 10% crystal/choc + 4%carafa special II. It'll be plenty sweet still and not too roasty I hope.

Cobbled Oat Stout v2.0 :D

Pale Malt (Perle) 70.0 %
Malted Oats 10.0 %
Munich I 6.0 %
Chocolate Malt 5.0 %
Crystal, Medium 5.0 %
Carafa Special II 4.0 %
40.00 g Northern Brewer [9.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min 35.2 IBUs

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 35.2 IBUs
Est Color: 59.1 EBC

Hi Hsb,

Looking at that recipe V2.0, looks much better.

I made my first Oatmeal stout with Malted Oats at 12.5% and it was a cracker. You will find it doesnt have the oilyness that flaked oats can impart when use in the mash ( to remove the oilyness appraently you toast the flakes under the grill for a bit ).

Personally I would up the oats to 15% :)

Hope you make a top brew.

Thanks, it feels like a better balanced recipe and great to hear some positive feedback on the malted oats.
But I'm staying firm at 10% for a first time using them! They look pretty weird, long and thin - you can tell I'm a city kid!

Weather set fair, manouevred time off from kid wrangling duties, gear is clean and ready to rumble, bring on a brew weekend!
My 3rd (of 4) taps blew last night so not a moment too soon.
:beer:

On a related note, I have rolled outs sitting around at home, if I want to use these for an oatmeal stout, do I have to cook them first to gelatinise before mashing, as you would with rice/polenta?

stakka82 said:
On a related note, I have rolled outs sitting around at home, if I want to use these for an oatmeal stout, do I have to cook them first to gelatinise before mashing, as you would with rice/polenta?
Apparently its good to soak them for a few hours first and basically just throw porridge in the mash, but I've always just put them into the mash dry with the grain.

stakka82 said:
I normally roast them until golden brown before mixing them in with the rest of the grain before the mash. Puts a bit more of a biscuity taste in there.

EDIT: I step mash using a Brau clone, so they get to soak for a little while through the steps before I hit 69 for the main rest. Not sure what system you're using but could be relevent.
hsb said:
Thanks, it feels like a better balanced recipe and great to hear some positive feedback on the malted oats.
But I'm staying firm at 10% for a first time using them! They look pretty weird, long and thin - you can tell I'm a city kid!

Weather set fair, manouevred time off from kid wrangling duties, gear is clean and ready to rumble, bring on a brew weekend!
My 3rd (of 4) taps blew last night so not a moment too soon.
:beer:
HSB, we had a comp here in SA put on by Birbeck's Brewing that had to use Oat malt as a main component of the bill. They definitely gave a bit more body, but nowhere near as much as rolled oats straight up. I used 30% and it wasn't over the top, but I deliberately went high to try and highlight them. Will probably try them instead of rolled oats in my oatmeal stout next year to see how they go. If you're milling your own you'll also want to drop your mill gap slightly, or run them through a few times on their own just so you can check their crush.
Cheers,
BB

Took a few pictures on brewday, might as well follow through on this beer from brain to grain back to brain...

Malted Oats

Cracked Malted Oats (ran them through mill twice)

Rest of the grist

Cracked grain - a little on the floury side, drill running a bit fast.

Ready for action

Mash paddle tribute, with marigolds.

Recirculating the mash

30 seconds in the life of a mash

ramp to 72C. mega frothy from the oats I assume

Recirculating

1st runnings

2nd runnings

Spent grain

Cleaning time

Boiling

Cubed

Uneventful brewday. Haven't got an OG yet, but will pitch this on some Burton Ale (WLP023) slurry when my Special Bitter finishes cold conditioning.
Ended up doing a 45C rest on account of the oats, mash was 45(15), 63(10), 66(40), 72(10), 78(10). 90 minute boil.

Looks good HSB.

I reckon I will leverage this receipe for next batch, however I don't have any choc malt so will swap in some brown malt for a nutty twist.

Mine will be ready just in time for the Perth summer, hmmm refreshing stout lol.

Cheers,
D80

Thanks. Good to get back into planning and making a recipe. Touch wood I've really nailed my rig/process/numbers, which makes brewday easy.
Mine should be ready for the first nice 30 degree days too :D
I'll update with fermentation/beer in the glass so can see if it tastes any good.

I did end up with a version 3 of the recipe and really pumped the oats up to 15%.
So, as brewed it was:

Oatmeal Stout
Pale Malt - 53.6%
Munich I - 15.3%
Malted Oats - 15.3%
Carafa Special II - 5%
Chocolate - 5%
Crystal Medium - 5%
Black Malt - 0.8% (for colour only, added at mashout)

40g Northern Brewer - 35 IBU
Colour - 67 EBC

Estimate - OG1053, FG1013, ABV 5.3%

I couldn't help but wonder, looking at that meringue of froth on the mash that appeared, if I was looking at the head on the beer disappearing in a mash meringue.
Will see what's left when it finally gets into the glass, assuming I don't spill it all on the floor/botulise myself etc.. Cheers.

hsb said:
I couldn't help but wonder, looking at that meringue of froth on the mash that appeared, if I was looking at the head on the beer disappearing in a mash meringue.
Will see what's left when it finally gets into the glass, assuming I don't spill it all on the floor/botulise myself etc.. Cheers.
I love my oatmeal stouts, but I can never get them to hold a head whatsoever. It's frustrating as hell really, cos it's a freakin' excellent drop.

Back